• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Twist Rate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loyalist Dave said:
They probably had some surplus blanks laying around for modern HV 45 cals and just profiled them for the ML and used them cause they got them cheap.

That's a pretty good theory, though the steel would be much higher quality than typical of the ML barrels steel from Spain at that time.

I wondered if maybe the manufacturer was making pistol barrels by making a long, fast twist, piece of stock, then cutting them into shorter pieces and cutting the breech, but the fastest twist ML pistols that I know of are Pedersoli and they are like 1:15 and 1:18....I wonder if back then they could've been faster???

LD

Twists as fast as 1:10 are seen in 458 win mag and other HV 45 cal brass suppository guns. Or so I have read. 45-70 standard is 22, the original Sharps Rifle Co. used 18 and 20" twists in the 40-44-45 calibers by comparison. Smokeless brass suppository calibers generally have much faster twists than BPCRs do in the same caliber.

Dan

My mom actually purchased the flintlock rifle kit and two pistol kits for him not long after they got married in 1972, she bought it at a store called GEMCO. Unfortunately he doesn't have the original box it came in, the only manual of any kind that he had for it was the little black book from CVA. I don't remember it having any numbers or proof marks on it anywhere, but I'll pull the barrel out of it and take a look.

As for loading, my dad seemed to prefer using 50 grains 3f, a .440 ball and .015 patch. My personal experience with it, I've loaded it with 60 grains 2f and had no complaints.

Has it been shot plenty of times? Is it accurate 50-100 Yards? Do you know of anyone else that has this twist rate?

I can't speak to how many times my dad fired it before I came along, but myself I've put a couple boxes of store bought balls through it. Since I started casting I've put more than a few of my hand cast ones through it. My usual target shooting is at 100yds and it does fine at that range, granted it's not cutting clover leaf groups but will keep all shots in a 6" circle, plenty good for hunting. My only complaint about the gun is the lock. The hammer to frizzen geometry is off, so finding a decent fitting flint can be a challenge. I've kicked around the idea of putting an L&R replacement lock on it, and may end up doing that, but for the time being, it's still functional and lights off the charge pretty reliably, if I do my part.

Does yours have the stock the length of barrel? (Kentucky Rifle) Does it have a brass plate were the stock splits into two parts?

The Spanish made muzzleloaders usually stamp the proof marks on the bottom of the barrel near the breech. Usually a number and Kp/Cm^2

I want to thank everyone for your input. This is my first time in a Forum and it's awesome! Communicating with folks that share the same interest. If you guys have more info on this barrel twist.... Please share!

Well, hang with us, Yewman, one or more of us may come up with the definitive answer at some time. Also, stick with us and join in with more conversations. We can learn from you, too. :thumbsup:

I have some parts from a kit brought to me back in the 70s that has a .45 caliber barrel with a similar twist rate. It was made in Spain and had a two piece stock similar to the CVA "Kentucky" rifles of the same time period. There are no other marking other than "made in Spain" stamped on the barrel. The lock was the extra-low quality flint lock with poor geometry and soft frizzen.

Well, y'all got me thinking (I know dangerous) about my old 70s era CVA Dixie Gunworks Kentucky .45 flintlock.

The only marking on the barrel is Spain, 2 piece stock with the wide brass band. I had never measured the twist rate. The rifle is very accurate with either patched ball or minie.

I just measured the twist and sure enough it's 1:13

You nailed it! That's the rifle! a CVA and you have the catalog to prove it. Amazing, and there are a lot of Muzzleloaders with 1:12 and 1:13 twist rate. Most Folks don't even know it.

How much powder do you use? FFG OR FFFG? Does it fill odd when you shoot it? Example, higher recoil than other muzzleloaders and does the barrel get hotter than usual?

Now that you know your twist rate are you going to keep shooting it? Sorry if I ask too many questions, but I always like to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Back