• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Ringing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with those of you who use a routine with visual before and after steps. It really helps avoid embarrassing incidents and possible dangerous ones. I do the same.

Grizz44Mag,

I like your methodical approach. I am going to adopt as much of a version of it as I can.
in another friend's woodlot or on yet another friend's farm. The only bench is either a portable sighting seat/bench i bring - w/ a small top and not where I want powder & such when I'm shooting over it- or a very small portable table /i bring to keep wiping rod and such supplies on when shooting offhand "from the pouch".

Since reading your post, I've considered ways I can rethink my options to allow a more formal ritual than relying on memory. It's been too many years since I shot regularly to have awakened muscle motor memory.

Another problem is that I introduced my sohoting buddy to BP rifles (CW musket in his case) fairly recently, so I am frequently answering questions. If anyone else is around, my inner BP ambassador kicks in & I try to involve/educate them.

Right you are: focus, focus...

There are NO absolutes in life, other than we're not getting out of it alive.
If you do everything right (or wrong) and the stars align perfectly you can end up with a ringed breach or barrel. While it hasn't happened to me I have seen it happen and seen some with ringed barrels, both muzzle loaders and modern arms at gun shops, pawn shops, and at gun shows.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to say "this will cause your barrel to ring 100 percent of the time."

As I said before, I shot pistol competition for over 10years. Almost all of us shot revolvers. I know several who struggled with progressive presses who ended up with a bulge in the barrel.

The old black powder rifle cartridges were designed to use a full charge of black powder. Using small charges of smokeless powder without something to take up the space can be very dangerous. I reccomend following reloading manuals for data on them, which is a good idea on any loading, including muzzle loaders.

It doesn't take much pressure to get a ball moving. CO2 ball extractors and even air compressors do it with an O-ring seal. If a ball could be stuck tight enough to ring a bore, you would have to have a hydraulic rammer to push it down. You also wouldn't be able to pull a ball by hand. I'd almost bet that 30-40grns. would exhaust out the touch hole of a fully plugged barrel before it harmed the barrel.
Lockheed Warning Star ??

I witnessed a short started ball ring a barrel at Friendship. It was done by and in the presence of several senior flintlock shooters. I was standing next to the shooter loading the rifle while I loaded. The shooter fired the round and all who were there recognized a short started round because we have all done it.
The shooter returned to the bench and pushed a cleaning patch down the bore and found a ring exactly where a short started ball would be. It was not there on the previous shot. That is good enough for me.
Also, you had better not tell Eddie May that it can’t happen unless you want an earful.

Cause smokeless is a propellant and BP/Subs are a low grade/brissance explosive. There is a phenomena that is not completely understood that involves very light loads of slow burning powder and large capacity cases that will cause an explosion that usually destroys the firearm.

And before someone calls foul on subs not classified as explosives, it's only because the ignition temp of the subs is high enough for similar transport/storage conditions of smokeless.

Now enough of them thar new fangled cartridge guns. Let's get back to caps and flinters.
Especially light loads of ball/spherical smokeless powder..

Back