• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Proofs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have several Pedersoli shotguns in 12 gauge. A few friends have some as well. When making some comparisons today, we noticed to newer models have "89 grains - 1 1/4-oz" stamped on them. The older ones don't say this. All have the same BP proof mark(s). Unlike smokeless proof that indicates a cartridge length and # PSI or BAR and sometimes a Dram and/or load weight, Black Powder proofs seem to be non-specific. The older guns have much lighter and thinner barrels as well as smaller breach plugs. It would seem like these would have a lesser proof than the thicker barrels and breach plugs, however they aren't marked with "XX grains - XX ounces". So, does anyone know for certain if there is a manufacturers recommended load on the earlier guns (70's-80's) compared to the much heavier, thicker ones (90's-present)?

I've never seen data for loads in the old Pedersoli guns, but it must exist somewhere. I would agree that the new maximum load stamps are driven by legal and lawsuit requirements, but that doesn't mean that 1 1/4 over 89 grains is a suitable load in those old guns, I'm away from home right now, but I seem to remember that my old production 10 gauge does have a maximum load equal or close to the load you cite. Of course, that's 10 gauge not 12. I'll check when I get home.

Back