• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel blowing board

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. :)
How about one of a man bent over holding the barrel in his hands with his nose stuck in the barrel, and you blow up his, well you know. :rotf:

Looks great :thumbsup: ...something for me to do this weekend...If I can remember :confused: (I have a great memory...it's just very short)

Well.. It certainly should satisfy those on both sides of the barrel blowing issue. LOL

Regards, Dave

Intriguing ... so let me ask a dumb question ...

Do you or 'would' you blow into a barrel (after the shot of course ;) ) on a ccccccccccol day, like below freezing?

I am fully satisfied with my 62 flint smoothie, but I do find the poweder cakes BAD on extremely dry days, whether above or below freezing. That is the only time I have trouble loading. And my 'typical' process allows me to load without cleaning or blowing between shots, or even between 10-20 subsequent shots.

Again, extremely curious on the effects of blowing breaths into a cccccold bore on a dry day ...

If you just fired the barrel, it will not be cold inside! If it is, then maybe you stopped to use the loading board as a pipe before reloading!

The whole idea behind blowing down the barrel is to add warm, moist air to soften the crud. Blow tubes were even used by early single shot breech loading rifle target shooters to soften residue before seating the next bullet with their bullet seaters, and then insert a case full of powder into the chamber, before closing the action.

Guys , I really like the path this thread has taken. Pitchy , my hat is off to you, you have an incredibly inventive mind. This thread shows what can happen if we keep cool heads and think things out. Paul, in no way am I refuting your post , I never really thought that ones breathe would soften fouling, I always assumed that puffing down the bore was to see if the vent hole was plugged. Now I know the rest of the story.Not to TOOT our own horn, but you gentleman are one hell of a great bunch of guys!!!

As i said this thread is not against anyones practices it is just a idea that popped in my head when someone mentioned they use a clear plastic tube and i thought there has too be a better way.
So i hope i haven`t lost any friends over it :nono:
Now lets get to building and post some pics of your ideas. :thumbsup:

This thing ought to unruffle a few feathers.

Real good job! :hatsoff:

I am with you. Actually, I got to different explanations about blowing down the barrel: One from the off-hand shooters, who blew down to make sure their flash channels were clear on their percussion guns, and one from the bench rest shooters, who blew down the barrel to soften residue. I thought they were both nuts! That didn't keep me from trying it, but as I have said before, when I began teaching kids firearms safety, I took a long look at all the violations of basic firearms safety rules that were involved in blowing down the barrel, and found it a lousy sustitute for simply running a slightly dampened patch down the barrel with my Ramrods. The air forced down the barrel in front of the patch pushed out air through the vent or flash channel assuring me I did not have to pick crud out of there. The damp patch softened and removed the residue, while putting out any sparks that might remain in the powder chamber-- frankly, a " Twofer", or two gains for one application. Actually I was getting three benefits and being safe, so it was really a fourfer, and I have always like finding ways to be more efficient. :blah: :thumbsup:

I have blow tube I purchased at C Sharps in Mt. The owner gave me a similar explanation about softening the crud. Anyways the tube is an empty 45/70 brass modified with larger hole in the primer pocket to accept a clear plastic tube. I don't use it but it is interesting.

Its sure not as creative at the one made here. Very nice! :thumbsup:

Thanks gents, i hope some of you guys make one of a different design and post pics.
I like the idea of making one from a hawk, maybe drill the handle then cross drill a hole just back from the head and glue in a piece of round that fits your bore.

I supposed one of those red/white striped plastic straws that bend isn't going to cut it huh? :rotf:

gmww said:
I supposed one of those red/white striped plastic straws that bend isn't going to cut it huh? :rotf:
If ya tie a feather on it might not look too bad. :haha:

gmww said:

Well... you'd have to put a glob of color-coordinated play-dough around one end to get a seal at the muzzle.

OTOH, a period-appearing one could be made from an L-shaped piece of copper tubing, with the short end through a cork to get the seal, or else wrapped in thread as period woodwinds were.

Joel

You could get yourself a nice sterling bassoon Bocal for a few hundred bucks in that case! Just fill the pip with beeswax! (not bloody likely!) :youcrazy: BB

This is all starting to make the case for the simplicity of a damp patch down & up the bore
:grin:

Latest posts

Back