• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowing down the barrel youtube video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What could possibly be more entertaining…and enlightening…than a forum full of geezer know-it-alls bickering over who actually does know it all.
A geezer myself, I too, know it all but The Graceful Geezer rule book clearly states “Avoid correcting others “ among many other suggestions for a more blissful “setting sun” life experience…try it …it works.

...I worked with a gentleman that would argue the benefits of smoking (this was in the 1980s) until he passed from lung cancer...

At one time I worked pretty closely with some Russians on some space-related contracts. They all smoked filterless cigs heavily. They really liked Camels LOL. I mentioned the adverse affects, and they adamantly maintained that it warded off lung ailments like bronchitis and pneumonia. They were actually scared to stop for fear of disease LOL.

We can't leave this alone until everyone agrees with me that never again will we blow down a barrel and we all say together, "It is silly and Mike in FL has decreed it so."

Ok lets agree to let those who want to blow down the barrel do so and those who do not ,don't have too.

wow that was easy
Yeah bi how much fun is that?
We can't leave this alone until everyone agrees with me that never again will we blow down a barrel and we all say together, "It is silly and Mike in FL has decreed it so."
flipping through the Dictionary I came across Mike in Florida entry
Definition: ie: wrong, truly wrong, original meaning when God invented word wrong

I mostly shoot alongside my big Brother and a very experienced ex US team Blackpowder shooter. My Brother is the only one of us three that blows down the barrel after each shot. I asked him a long time ago why he did it and he couldn’t really think of a valid reason other than ‘he’d always done it’
I never do and neither does Roy, the 3rd member of our group. When I asked him about it he said he never has in 50+ years of shooting, we all tend to use Swiss powder, predominately 3f so fouling isn’t really an issue.

Way back in the dark ages, when I started shooting muzzleloading rifles, the literature of the time was all about addressing the concerns of a buildup of black powder fouling in the barrel and how that build up would make it hard to load a patched round ball and throw off accuracy. The recommendation at the time was the ancient practice of blowing down the barrel. The smoke plume from the nipple or touch hole verified the flash channel was clean and since there was moisture in the breath and water would remove fouling from cleaning, that would help control fouling by keeping it soft. Many of us were concerned about fouling at the breech face. We were just beginning to learn about how to control fouling in a chambered breech.

I noticed at that time that the shooter that had the most accurate scores on target would wipe between shots. The experienced builder that shot in the club would wipe between shots. About that time, I ran across Dutch Schoultz's "Black Powder Accuracy" system. That method was based around bore condition and the best control being to wipe betweeen shots as the wiping removed fouling from the bore. I did have to learn how to get fouling out of the chambered breech during a match. Mostly, every 5th shot I would run a damp patch to the breech and fire a cap to blow fouling frommthe flash channel and chambered breech.

Oh Boy, the Dead Horse has wandered back in!
And this time we are beating it with center fire revolvers and suppositories!!

btw:
Skydive: 1,100 times in 16 years (and I Never wore an AAD).

Helmets: Hated them when I used to ride, mine was usually found strapped behind the seat.

Smoking: Since about age 17, VA just gave my lungs and throat a clean bill (but I should quit).

....Rattlesnake hunting, walking alone at night (in the city), and so much more that make others cringe and sometimes even wet their pants.

But blowing down the barrel of a single shot muzzleloader?
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
Wiping between shots?
Usually, mostly, but sometimes I don't.

Do I care what others think?
Nope, not one bit.
Do I follow rules on someone else's range?
Yup, I either follow their rules or I go elsewhere...just like two Drop Zones that enforced an AAD rule, my money walked!

Now...about those Seatbelts:
I just can't afford the tickets so yes, I always Click It.

I am a part time range master at our private range.
At the range in the back yard, shoot at your own risk.

Have not been to a public range since last century.
Now...about those Seatbelts
Dont use those either. Im either on the Harley, which requires none. Or the 78 GMC that sits so high, the cops cant see in it.

Back