• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Balck bear: PRB or conical??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Trapper

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm planning a black bear hunt for this fall. In regards to bullets, your thoughts on patched round ball or conical would be??? I have rifles in 50 & 54 caliber that will shoot either.

not sure but i think big wild hogs would have more body mass,as far as thick hide and Grissel. bone mass might be about the same. a .54 prb with 80grs of black pushing it at 60 yards or so will make a clean pass through if you dont hit the shoulder blade. i have shot a 200# + hog with a .50 t/c maxi ball with 80grs and hit the shoulder blade, it made it through the body and hit the shoulder on the other side and stopped. it did put the flop on him, never took another step. dont think it would matter to much at all with either long as you hit the chest from side to side.

Black Bears are not that hard to kill, just know their anatomy (a little different than a deer's), and either have a broadside leg forward shot or a quartering away shot. The bigger the hole the better, not for killing purposes, but for tracking. Bear hair will act like a sponge so the bigger hole will allow more blood to leak out and get on the ground, if you don't see them drop within sight. If a 50# Longbow can do it, 50 or 54 cal roundball will.

Just like deer shot with a roundball they will die of Lead Poisoning. :rotf: DANNY

Bears scare me. I would want the biggest bullet in the arsenal if I was to shoot one. I'd also want a back up pistol at hand.

So I guess if I was to plan on a bear hunt, I would practice up with the conicals with the .54 and study up on bear anatomy.

I've hunted "blackies" though I've not ever collected one.
(That's why it's called "hunting", rather than "killing" or "shooting" bears.)

My "preferred bear medicine" is one of my homebrewed 530 grain .58 caliber Mine ball out of a Zouave (from a tree-stand) & I don't think I'd want anything less, though a .58 PRB is also likely adequate.

yours, satx

As mentioned before they have very different vital areas, if you shoot a bear like a deer behind the shoulder your more than likely to hit guts...

I've killed 5 bears with traditional gear. If you put a RB through the lungs BEHIND the shoulder he'll be down in 50 yd's or less. Listen for the "Death moan"

A bear's vitals are a little lower than a deer so don't shoot too high.

That's a good point. I have already taken one bear with bow and arrow, and another one with my 45-70 bolt gun.

Back