• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Appropriate cylinder gap for Colt revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the facts often have that effect on the less informed !
cifically mentioned pressure and not cartridge.

Mr. Dalton is well versed and the difference in pressures by caliber is significant.
20K+ in a 22lr cyl is way different than 21/23K in a .45 chambered cyl.
Therein lays the difference.

Mike

I knew you would go there that's why I spe

Yeah the facts often have that effect on the less informed !
cifically mentioned pressure and not cartridge.
Why don't you admit you are wrong? The admission would be easier than forum humiliation. You really think you know more than @45D ?? The man handles more Colts and Colt repro's a day then you have likely seen in decade. Give it up. He has demonstrated more engineering and hands on skills than you have.

Mr. Dalton is well versed and the difference in pressures by caliber is significant.
20K+ in a 22lr cyl is way different than 21/23K in a .45 chambered cyl.
Therein lays the difference.

Mike
True but then were not talking .22 verses .45 ACP were talking 45 ACP verses .45 Colt.

Why don't you admit you are wrong? The admission would be easier than forum humiliation. You really think you know more than @45D ?? The man handles more Colts and Colt repro's a day then you have likely seen in decade. Give it up. He has demonstrated more engineering and hands on skills than you have.
And you don't know any more about the realitive strength of design than he does apparently!

Well, keep pushing the pressure up and I predict you'll soon realize the difference !
I've already posted that the frame will probably NOT make it to mag loads. I'm just looking for where it "will" show problems. Never said anything about mag pressure. I do believe Dragoons may actually get "there" though!!! What?!!!! 🤣
We'll see.

Mike

Your the one implying equal strength of open frame guns to solid all I'm saying is then prove it !

Holly cow!!! ALREADY HAVE!!! HELLO!!
They're equal to all "tier one" only's.
They're equal to those capable of +p rounds.
Testing continues . . .

Mike

I've already posted that the frame will probably NOT make it to mag loads. I'm just looking for where it "will" show problems. Never said anything about mag pressure. I do believe Dragoons ma actually get "there" though!!! What?!!!! 🤣
We'll see.

Mike
Ok, I am curious as well how much the Dragoons will handle before showing signs of indigestion. Course were talking longevity as well a acute indigestion !
All I have ever contended is that in general closed framed designs have inherently more strength than do open frame designs. Can we find exceptions, probably, but in general, design has as big of an influence on strength as does the material used in construction and some times more.

Last edited:
Well then I guess he got there before you did in the 45 ACP. Are you saying he never went any higher? If so then why did he stop as long as were testing pressure limits in open frame guns ?

Nope. I was asked if I'd participate.
Don't have any idea what "he" knows.
We both know what the cylinder will handle . . .

Ok, I am curious as well how much the Dragoons will handle before showing signs of indigestion. Course were talking longevity as well a acute indigestion !

Haaaa!! Well, my crystal ball is no better than anybody else's. That's what "testing" is all about.

Mike

Holly cow!!! ALREADY HAVE!!! HELLO!!
They're equal to all "tier one" only's.
They're equal to those capable of +p rounds.
Testing continues . . .

Mike
No you haven't . Closed frame cartridge guns will handle twice what your proof loads have thus far produced.

No you haven't . Closed frame cartridge guns will handle twice what your proof loads have thus far produced.
You're wrong.
A Colt SAA isn't recommended for +p loads. Neither is Pietta SAA copies and many others.
The same applies to revolvers chambered in 45acp.

What in the world makes you think any top strap revolver can handle mag ammo?

I guess since a Bugatti Veyron can best 200 + mph a VW bug can too? Help me out here . . .

Some of you guys need to step back several paces and think about how ridiculous you sound spouting unsound opinions while criticizing someone like @45D with a proven track record of knowledge and experience.
Oh, and your the arbitrator of what is unsound opinion right, sounds a lot like "criticizem" to me.

You're wrong.
A Colt SAA isn't recommended for +p loads. Neither is Pietta SAA copies and many others.

Well Rugers are
You're wrong.

Are not Rugers, Smith and Wesson, Dan Wessons , Cattlemen 73 clones and a number of other designs not closed frame guns that handle mag pressure?

Back