• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Appropriate cylinder gap for Colt revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the support doesn't extend to the "conversion" crowd . . . So "we" should leave or shut up? That's not very "uniting " sounding to me!
I'll have to say, setting up cartridge revolvers has benefited the cap gun bunch tremendously.

Mike
I agree to it's value and am interested to learn all about it but have no interest in converting any of my personal percussion guns at this time .

The .45 Ruger Biesley load is 23 grains of H-110 behind the Kieth 280 grain flat point and CCI 350 Mag primer for a hair over 1300 fps from a 5 inch barrel over my Oehler P-35. Max charge for this combo is 25 grains of H-110 or 296. It probably is my most accurate revolver load and I've yet to loose a case from pressure in reloads . I think I got this load from Linebaugh data if memory serves.
I read some where that the .45 Colt can often be loaded to the same velocity with a heavier bullet at approximately 6K less pressure than can a .44 Mag.
What was the standard BP load of the time , seems like I remember 30 grains of 3f behind a 250 grain bullet for about 930 fps. ? I was thinking the charge was 40 grains but I don't see how they could get that much in a case although the old balloon head cases did have more capacity.

That looks right. My Hodgdon tables don't list that weight but a 260gr. with 23.5grs give 1351 fps.
300gr. is right there to.

I'm going to be loading some Longshot powder for 250gr at 1129 fps. for the Dragoons.
Titegroup at the same pressure is just below 1,000. That's about the end of the road for tg. Longshot will give some good versatility in that range.

Mike

That looks right. My Hodgdon tables don't list that weight but a 260gr. with 23.5grs give 1351 fps.
300gr. is right there to.

I'm going to be loading some Longshot powder for 250gr at 1129 fps. for the Dragoons.
Titegroup at the same pressure is just below 1,000. That's about the end of the road for tg. Longshot will give some good versatility in that range.

Mike
Wow,that seems pretty hot for the Dragoon, be careful !!!

Back