• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone traded with Middlesex Trading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not new to flintlocks, only flintlock shotguns.

And as far as workmanship is concerned, I had to modify the pins on my Lyman flint GPR to keep them fastened in the stock's forearm. With Middlesex Village I probably expect to do a little more of that, but who knows.

Spend several thousand on a custom job that doesnt work any better than Middlesex.But it'll be a custom job.

poordevil said:
Go for it. It sounds like you know what you are doing. :hmm:

P
Or at least that you're going to do it regardless of the recommendations of others...

Not that I fault you. I'd have a hard time parting with $2k+ for a custom job. I've handled a few of the Indian made guns, and they're ok, but they do need a fair bit of work and I'd be concerned about the barrel's point of aim (as mentioned by others, including yourself). I'd probably sooner look at getting a used Perersoli or CVA double (~$350-600), and try to convert it, as has been suggested. You'd end up with better locks, barrels, and stock - a better gun, for about the same cost.

Whatever you choose, please show us what you end up with. I'd love to see the results of your conversion or modification of the MVT model.

Or at least that you're going to do it regardless of the recommendations of others...

Not that I fault you. I'd have a hard time parting with $2k+ for a custom job.

Good point. I just don't have enough information either way yet, and the nay sayers have good points too but no direct experience with this gun. Those that have direct experience with MVT affirm their products are ok, but to know what you are buying and expect to work on it to make it serviceable. I'm ok with that. It is a double flint shotgun we're talking about here, and I'm ok with spending money on premium kits. I'm rather fond of the early 18th century fur trapper era: ever priced a kit from The Hawken Shop? [See: http://www.thehawkenshop.com/] There, you pay a premium price for a kit in which you supply almost all of the work.

Kenneth

Last edited by a moderator:
a big German company, which is importing guns from MVT and Loyalist suppliers (apart from Pedersoli, Ardesa and others of course) is proofing the barrels before sale as German Law prohibits sale of unproofed ones

They are normally dealing with Modern Hunting Guns and Stuff, so i'd assume they got their bit of experience (big shop with lots of Stores around Germany)

As per them, none of the indian stuff failed the proofing so far and one of the local store owners claims to have good hunting results with an Indian-Made Musket and prefers it over his in-line drilling just for the kick of fun in such hunting

Thanks for the info Jesseji, very good information. That affirms my impression of MVT from those who have contributed to this thread and from the information I have been able to collect from other research about MVT. Those who have direct experience with them seem to like their products ok.

Kenneth

Jasseji said:
[edit....]

As per them, none of the indian stuff failed the proofing so far and one of the local store owners claims to have good hunting results with an Indian-Made Musket and prefers it over his in-line drilling just for the kick of fun in such hunting

I have 2 MVT muskets (I live 2 hours away)as others have said they are not custom jobs but they are more than serviceable. I have the first Ketland Fusil that came into the US and at 6.25 lbs it is lighter than most other .62 cal customs I have felt. The biggest issue I see is there is quite a variation in each regarding fit and trigger pull. The stocks are made of teak which adds to weight and the barrels are a bit shiny (as is the finish). There is too much wood in most of the guns as well (not true for the Ketland).

Since I go there to purchase I select the one I want and have had to do little except polishing to make the locks better (these locks are hand made). Most folks don't have that luxury. Pete will make it right if you do not like the one you get. I have seen the DB shotgun in person (first one he got) and it was pretty nice.

With regards to safety, the Ughars have been making Flintlocks for longer than the US has been in existence. The factory looks more like a computer manufacturing facility than a machine shop and some will give the impression that they are made in a shack which is far from the truth. Granted, the initial quality could be better but the intent is to produce the item as it would have been when mass produced (the largest sellers are Besses and Charlvilles).

The best part of Middlesex trading is that they have excellent customer service. If you have a problem with the lock, return the whole lock and they will fix or replace it. I think they have a lifetime guarentee as well.
The quality is only so so- the wood is not walnut but teak and can be brittle,and the metal wood fit is just OK, but they are cheaper by half than higher quality arms.

I suspect that it is human nature to not admit the full extent of dissapointment in a product that was purchased against most imput from others also the length of time one has been envolved in this sport and ability to see the good and bad points of a given gun are to be considered, I hope that the Indian gun woeks well and provides the solution to your needs if you purchase one, do share the work envolved to make it "better" there will no doubt be more folks looking this direction in the future and details from one who has traveled that path will be something they may need and appreciate.The real possible down side to these guns is that they will take up a percentage of the market share and make it harder on the suppliers/builders of quality/PC offerings made here in the USA, they have been fighting an uphill battle for a long time allready.

Jasseji said:
a big German company, which is importing guns from MVT and Loyalist suppliers (apart from Pedersoli, Ardesa and others of course) is proofing the barrels before sale as German Law prohibits sale of unproofed ones

They are normally dealing with Modern Hunting Guns and Stuff, so i'd assume they got their bit of experience (big shop with lots of Stores around Germany)
Not trying to change anyone's mind on the issue of Indian built guns in general since we all have real strong opinions either for or against them. I believe that it's Dan Phariss who has previously posted some documentation on tubing barrels that gave me pause enough to research further on those barrels, particularly the Indian made ones. Now to hear that the barrels are passing proofing requirements in Germany does my heart good. Ask any GI who has had guns there...German proof requirements are quite stringent.

I'm one of the "FOR" voters but as others have said, they take some work to get them where most would want them to be. I consider them an "in the white" kit and at a price cheaper than many of those. The early trade musket that I have from them is a lot of fun and I enjoyed (re)building it.

The folks at MVTC are good people. I'd buy another from them.

I agree with MS above. These products are not for everyone. It really depends on what you plan to do with it (hunting, reenacting etc.), whether you like to tinker and refinish and what your skills are. While my MVTC 1816 Springfield is not as well finished as the Pedersoli version, after my refinishing and a few little changes, I'm quite satisfied with it for my purpose - which is reenacting pre-civil war militia and as a early War confederate soldier.

MVTC and other importers offer a variety of unusual muskets and fowlers, not available anywhere else, except custom builders. A lot of folks just can't afford, or don't want to spend 3-4 times the price for a custom gun while trying to feed their family or put kids through college. These products fill a need for SOME people.

To each his own, just be an informed buyer.

i like pedersoli and what they do myself, granted, i plan on buying a second musket - and it will be a pedersoli one.

As for the indian stuff, i never saw a pistol fitting my era from any of the major producers and i am not as skilled in wood to make my own stock (although i will in the end)

people will buy these indian-made as long as getting a period-correct item from other manufacturers will be impossible or too pricey

i live only 8 miles from MVTC here in Nh, and i've been off and on pondering buying some of thier stuff for 6 years.

some gunshops close to me and them don't trust thier safety. wether they will go into " handgrenade mode" or not, i'm still wondering myself.

if you read thier FAQ page, they will proof-test the guns and stamp the barrel for you for a fee.

I handled one at the Tulsa show Saturday. It was not very well made. The locks were very rough and not well fitted, with horrendous trigger pulls. Geometry was poor. I was intially interested in these when they showed up on MVT's website but not after having seen this one. Even re-working it would not have corrected some of it's flaws.

Hello Pards:
I have purchased a Double Barrel Flintlock pistol from Middlesex Village and as has been previously posted, you can read what you can and should expect. I wanted it for a novelty and fully expected to work on it and did when it arrived. I really was not disappointed as to quality of the product or the workmanship. The Customer Service is excellent and I would recommend them. Just mt 2cnts worth.
BobS

Back