• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Warrell Portsmouth SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OwenJ

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good evening.

I recently had the opportunity to acquire a great looking british antique. Marked "S Warrell Portsmouth" on the rib and Warrell Portsmouth" on the locks. I can only seem to find one other shotgun with this name anywhere online as a further example of their later works but there also seems to be no records I can find of the fellow himself. If there is anyone who might have a deeper access to documents or knowledge of the name and history with this beautiful 8 bore I would greatly appreciate the discussion.

Thank you for any time and help contributed.

Attachments

• 4229-1.jpg
    4229-1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 4229-2.jpg
    4229-2.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4229-3.jpg
    4229-3.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 4229-4.jpg
    4229-4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240501_133446.jpg
    IMG_20240501_133446.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240501_133451.jpg
    IMG_20240501_133451.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240501_133453.jpg
    IMG_20240501_133453.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240501_133455.jpg
    IMG_20240501_133455.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240501_133457.jpg
    IMG_20240501_133457.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240501_133503.jpg
    IMG_20240501_133503.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
Sheriff Warrell is recorded as a gun business in Portsmouth on the south coast of England from 1864 until circa 1886 when his son joined his business. He never applied for Freedom (this is a reference to when completing apprenticeship and applying to the Gunmakers Company [abbr.] to be an independent Master Gunmaker. The records are not clear on with whom he apprenticed, and it appears he may not have. All gun related items indicate he was exclusively in Birmingham. You gun seems to show S. Warrell as the "gun company" - the company that made the gun, while the locks just say Warrell, which could indicate that it was completed when his son joined the first and the name changed to "Warrell - Guns and Sporting Supplies", dropping the S. from the legal name of the company. Your gun would then be circa 1886, the transition time from S. Warrell - Gun Shop to Warrell-Guns and Sporting Supplies. The company was apparently sold 3-years later.

Sherriff was known as the Champion Sparrow Shot of England. He was born in 1819 in Lincolnshire. He got a late start in the gun business. His parents were pub owners. Sheriff himself owned a pub in Cambridge but his license was taken away by the Magistrates Court because of several scrapes with the law. Around 1852 he moved to Portsmouth and re-married, although there is little know about what happened to his first wife. His first day in Portsmouth he applied for a license to be a cab driver. He had a weird personality that may have included a bit of paranoia. He often posted warnings in the paper to others that he alleged were using his name in bad reproach, that they would be sued in court if they were identified.
He was a gambler, and that is where sparrow shooting came up. He bet on how many sparrows could be shot in a row -and often won. His journal says he used 1 1/2 ounce of shot and fired at 50 sparrows to record how many were hit in a row and how many were hit out of 50, a two-tier bet. He set up Pony Trotting competitions, rat killing by dogs competitions and bicycle vs. pony competitions - all of which he participated as a betting competitor. When a famous tightrope walker needed someone to carry across the rope, Sheriff Warrell was the man. There was an assassination attempt on the Queen and it was determined that Sheriff Warrell - under his pawn brokers license - sold the assassin the cartridges.
He had a pub called the Royal Naval Pub that began in 1867. His life ended of illness in 1896 on Portsea Island, Hampshire.
Since he had no proof of apprenticeship, no licensed "gun shop" and no patents in the gun industry, there are many allegations that he was a fraud. In order to make a buck, he had his name put on guns that were outsourced entirely. One specific purpose was to boost his claim of being The Greatest Sparrow Shot of England and also use that "title" to entice others to purchase the guns. One son was the only one recorded as participating in the business, even though there were 10 children. Some allege he did this to avoid a lawsuit unto himself as well as further muddy the origin and authenticity of the guns being "made" by him or his family. With no formal training in gunmaking recorded for himself or his son, and many lawsuits, confrontations and legal actions against him throughout his life, it is also alleged that he avoided using the term "Gunmaker" in order to protect himself from lawsuits for fraud. A possible scenario is that he ordered guns from the Birmingham guild, or other independent craftsman and hired an engraver through contract to put his "name" on the gun. All known examples of his guns are very good quality. First, he modeled them to win different "shoots" and second to showcase his skills to entice others to buy the very type gun he won these shoots with. In rare instances, you may find a barrel or stockmakers initials and maybe a lock makers initials in the corresponding places on the gun, which might be discernable and traceable to a known Birmingham gunmaker. Without such markings, it can only be assumed that talented Birmingham craftsman put the guns together due to the quality, style and patents used.

Last edited:
Sheriff Warrell is recorded as a gunmaker in Portsmouth on the south coast of England from 1864 until circa 1886 when his son joined his business. He received his Freedom in approximately 1855 (This is a reference to when he completed his apprenticeship and applied to the Gunmakers Company [abbr.] to be an independent Master Gunmaker. The records are not clear on with whom he apprenticed, but everything indicates he was exclusively in Birmingham. You gun seems to show S. Warrell as the "gunmaker" - the company that made the gun, while the locks just say Warrell, which could indicate that it was completed when his son joined the first and the name changed to "Warrell - Gunmakers", dropping the S. from the legal name of the company. Your gun would then be circa 1886, the transition time from S. Warrell - Gunmaker to Warrell-Gunmakers. The company was apparently sold 3-years later.
I appreciate this so much.. I spent a good portion of yesterday trying to find information and thus one photo was all I could locate. Were they still making muzzleloaders in the 1880s? (Forgive me) I was under the thoughts that at this point most shotguns were moving to break barrel type actions. A lot of things point to Warrell being pretty well embedded and with a fairly large company but I have never heard of it at the same time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240504_205212_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_205212_Chrome.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 0
Real nice looking..

I don't know why.. but you can't use anything Larger than a 10ga here..

It's not like you shooting a mile further with twice as much...

I think I heard 2 oz waterfowl loads would be common.. maybe 2.5oz at the most I heard I think.. I just don't see where that's a big no no n o no to be using

Like what they just pick the number no one wanted to carry and outlaw it for hunting

Real nice looking..

I don't know why.. but you can't use anything Larger than a 10ga here..

It's not like you shooting a mile further with twice as much...

I think I heard 2 oz waterfowl loads would be common.. maybe 2.5oz at the most I heard I think.. I just don't see where that's a big no no n o no to be using
It is the same restrictions here as far as using anything larger than 12Ga (which is also being taken away now) but my antique laws specifically state "in gauges other than 10,12, 16 etc". Collecting anything is so hard here.. I believe the restrictions at least in my area came from market hunters overhunting waterfowl. From my understanding using market guns is still legal in the UK.

That one doesn't look too heavey.

What's the weight?
It does seem a little lighter than what I've seen on some heavy barreled American guns.. It weighs around 14lbs. Thing is huge at the breech end and seems somewhat lighter at the muzzle.

Sheriff Warrell is recorded as a gun business in Portsmouth on the south coast of England from 1864 until circa 1886 when his son joined his business. He never applied for Freedom (this is a reference to when completing apprenticeship and applying to the Gunmakers Company [abbr.] to be an independent Master Gunmaker. The records are not clear on with whom he apprenticed, and it appears he may not have. All gun related items indicate he was exclusively in Birmingham. You gun seems to show S. Warrell as the "gun company" - the company that made the gun, while the locks just say Warrell, which could indicate that it was completed when his son joined the first and the name changed to "Warrell - Guns and Sporting Supplies", dropping the S. from the legal name of the company. Your gun would then be circa 1886, the transition time from S. Warrell - Gun Shop to Warrell-Guns and Sporting Supplies. The company was apparently sold 3-years later.

Sherriff was known as the Champion Sparrow Shot of England. He was born in 1819 in Lincolnshire. He got a late start in the gun business. His parents were pub owners. Sheriff himself owned a pub in Cambridge but his license was taken away by the Magistrates Court because of several scrapes with the law. Around 1852 he moved to Portsmouth and re-married, although there is little know about what happened to his first wife. His first day in Portsmouth he applied for a license to be a cab driver. He had a weird personality that may have included a bit of paranoia. He often posted warnings in the paper to others that he alleged were using his name in bad reproach, that they would be sued in court if they were identified.
He was a gambler, and that is where sparrow shooting came up. He bet on how many sparrows could be shot in a row -and often won. His journal says he used 1 1/2 ounce of shot and fired at 50 sparrows to record how many were hit in a row and how many were hit out of 50, a two-tier bet. He set up Pony Trotting competitions, rat killing by dogs competitions and bicycle vs. pony competitions - all of which he participated as a betting competitor. When a famous tightrope walker needed someone to carry across the rope, Sheriff Warrell was the man. There was an assassination attempt on the Queen and it was determined that Sheriff Warrell - under his pawn brokers license - sold the assassin the cartridges.
He had a pub called the Royal Naval Pub that began in 1867. His life ended of illness in 1896 on Portsea Island, Hampshire.
Since he had no proof of apprenticeship, no licensed "gun shop" and no patents in the gun industry, there are many allegations that he was a fraud. In order to make a buck, he had his name put on guns that were outsourced entirely. One specific purpose was to boost his claim of being The Greatest Sparrow Shot of England and also use that "title" to entice others to purchase the guns. One son was the only one recorded as participating in the business, even though there were 10 children. Some allege he did this to avoid a lawsuit unto himself as well as further muddy the origin and authenticity of the guns being "made" by him or his family. With no formal training in gunmaking recorded for himself or his son, and many lawsuits, confrontations and legal actions against him throughout his life, it is also alleged that he avoided using the term "Gunmaker" in order to protect himself from lawsuits for fraud. A possible scenario is that he ordered guns from the Birmingham guild, or other independent craftsman and hired an engraver through contract to put his "name" on the gun. All known examples of his guns are very good quality. First, he modeled them to win different "shoots" and second to showcase his skills to entice others to buy the very type gun he won these shoots with. In rare instances, you may find a barrel or stockmakers initials and maybe a lock makers initials in the corresponding places on the gun, which might be discernable and traceable to a known Birmingham gunmaker. Without such markings, it can only be assumed that talented Birmingham craftsman put the guns together due to the quality, style and patents used.
A really fantastic run down of who this fellow was.. Thank you so much for putting that together. It would appear this item has quite a colorful originator.

I know a few muzzleloading trap shooters who shoot the 8 bore. Most use a square load of 2 ozs, except for Handicap Trap. I can't recall what that load is.
If it's a money shoot you'd certainly want a bigger bore; more shot, shorter Shot String.
A very nice looking double. The turn screws are still North and South, meaning no one monkeyed with it. Congrats.

View attachment 317587View attachment 317588
This guy is hard to beat on the trap range with his 8. He built it to fit him.
I appreciate the share! That is a great looking long barrel! I had been looking for an antique anti aircraft for a good while before I landed on this opportunity; I love the british antiques and I think it will look/work great beside my 1860 Snider MK11. I couldn't find a 6 bore double at all in double or break barrel (A guy can have dreams) without spending 10k USD or more.

I appreciate the share! That is a great looking long barrel! I had been looking for an antique anti aircraft for a good while before I landed on this opportunity; I love the british antiques and I think it will look/work great beside my 1860 Snider MK11. I couldn't find a 6 bore double at all in double or break barrel (A guy can have dreams) without spending 10k USD or more.
They (8, 4 bore rifles),appear on Guns International from time to time. Usually BPE guns.
I've never shot a 6 bore or larger. I've handled several 4 bore doubles from Owens, they are a real handful. They are a cartridge arm for Dangerous Game.

Last edited:
They appear on Guns International from time to time. I've never shot a 6 bore or larger. I've handled several 4 bore doubles from Owen, they are a real handful. They are a cartridge arm for Dangerous Game.
I don't know if I hate my shoulders enough to want to fire a 4gauge slug.. That sounds somewhat terrible honestly lol. Something like that would be a heck of a conversation piece on the mantle.

I don't know if I hate my shoulders enough to want to fire a 4gauge slug.. That sounds somewhat terrible honestly lol. Something like that would be a heck of a conversation piece on the mantle.
The Rifle weighs around 20 pounds. And everyone says when staring down something big, mean, and nasty you never feel the recoil. There are guys I know who post videos on YouTube shooting them.

Latest posts

Back