• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone out there shooting a 75 caliber, rifled barrel Hawken type?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y1z3pod

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Anyone out there shoots or have shot a 75 caliber (11 bore)Hawken type rifle. Both rifled or smooth barrel. Whats the recoil like? I'm having a "new school/old school type being made for me. It will have a Hawken type stock but,rifled barrel, fiber optic sights and a Pacymeyer recoil pad. It's due for delivery around mid-September

Ya I shot ( twice ) one made from a 20mm barrel out of a A-7, the 82cal 850gr bullet evem with a low :shocked2: charge of 175 1f made me flinch bad for months, it also had same pad, but fun toy to look at, then again I was only 250 lbs then. :rotf: Not a lot of help I know, we get what we want to shoot, right or wrong, this one may be the right one for you. Fred :hatsoff:

I shoot a patched round ball rifled 75 with 150 grains of 2f. The gun must weigh 10 lbs. Twice I have shot 15 rounds from a bench to get the sights lined up. The next day my cheek clearly remembered what I did the day before and I had the distinct impression that my teeth felt adjusted. The recoil was a wonderful long push backwards. My shoulder would go back about twice as far as the 30-06 would push it. If you didn't clamp the butt with your forearm the torque would try to twist the gun out of your arms. Lot of fun to shoot and it always brings out the folks to gawk at the hole in the end of the barrel. Ed Rayl made the barrel for me. I did most of the rest. GC

I made a .62 cal heavy Hawkin, 1.250 inch barrel, 32 inches in length, 11.5 lbs. weight, crescent steel but plate. It is a lot of rifle.
With a load of 70 to 90 grains, it is pleasant to shoot, 120 grains 2f then things get interesting.
So good luck with your .75 cal Hawkin, it will be a beast!
Rifles of .36 to .45 don't recoil much, .50 to .54 , a little more, .58 to .65 you start to notice, remember that is a lot of lead.
Best Regards
Olf Ford

Recoil will depend on powder charge and weight of the rifle. With light charges of 50-60 gr., it will be a lot like shooting one of those Civil War rifled musket repros. If you have a narrow, deeply curved, Hawken style buttplate, recoil will be on the unpleasant side even with those loads.

Why do you want such a large caliber rifle?

I have a Jim Bridger Hawken (looks just like the original) with a .75 Getz 1 1/8" 32" barrel.
Weights about 8 1/2 lbs. Has the Hawken curved steel buttplate. I've used 150 grs. 2F and a 600 gr. .735 RB. Very accurate and yes it kicks a little but I shoot large cal. guns all the time so I don't pay any attention to it. You have to be like a boxer, if it doesn't knock you out ,you
just shrug it off and keep on fighting or shooting in this case. It also shoots well with 60 grs. 3F and doesn't kick at all.

fw's comment about his weight reminds me of my old friend TC (now departed).
TC stood about 5 foot 8 and couldn't have weighed over 115 pounds soaking wet. Then again, that 115 pounds was made out of some real tough muscle.

He loved shooting, especially big guns. His favorite was his .458 Win. Magnum (read 8000 ft/lb muzzle energy).
He used this gun on several African Safaris he made and when he shot it, it would rock him back a good foot or so.

Anyway, he was at Ben Averys shooting range and a very large 250+ pound guy was loudly bragging to his friends about how big bore guns didn't phase him.

TC hearing this offered to let the guy shoot his .458. Of course, the guy had to accept. :grin:
He fired it and "took it like a man". TC offered him another shot but he said "NO thanks..." and walked around for the next hour rubbing his shoulder and refusing to shoot anything else that day.

The thing of it was, he was so heavy he couldn't "go" with the recoil like TC could so his shoulder took it all. :rotf:

Zonie this is so true..The thing of it was, he was so heavy he couldn't "go" with the recoil like TC could so his shoulder took it all... like all the big guys at Ft Bragg and " Ranger School" when they wanted "lean + mean"( in 68-69) cause they move faster, it dont matter what you shoot if you dont shoot it right. :haha: Like the guys with the 500 Casuls letting it kick way back like it's some kind of cannon, and then shoot my old 44 Automag and youd of thought they broke a wrist :haha: :haha: But thats out of place here, just useing it to make the point, Ive yet to shoot any black powder rifle that "kicks" some have lifted my left leg off the ground and the barrel was pointing up, but "kick"? NO. Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back