• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone have experience using Chore Boy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google electronic bore cleaners.

Electrolysis rust removers are easy to make at home. A plastic container, water, some scrap steel and Boraxo washing powder. Put rusty part in solution attach positive lead from a car battery charger to the item and the negative to the scrap steel. The item and the scrap must never touch. Line of sight from the rusty item to the scrap steel is best. To rig up a bore rust remover you will need a steel rod to go down the but but care must be taken that it never actually touches the barrel. Might be a tricky set-up but can work.

I have always used the Chore Boy Pads for cleaning lead out of modern pistols. I just pull off a big strand and wrap it around a bore brush.

You have to be careful to get a real copper one. Some of the ones you buy at dollar store and other places look like a Chore Boy and some even say "copper" but a magnet will stick to it meaning there is steel in there somewhere.
I actually have not had a problem with round balls and conicals leaving heavy lead deposits.

Gene L said:
At my lgs, they use Chore Boys stainless steel to clean up badly treated guns. And a lot of oil. The copper ones I've seen are merely copper coated; otherwise they'd cost a lot more.

But not pitting. That's sub-surface rust.

They make a series of them that are 100% copper.
a Few years ago I bought a large bundle of them because I was heavy into cowboy pistol using soft lead cast bullets, they work great for scrubbing lead.

I too have used the copper Chore Boy pads to clean unmentionables. I was able to find them at my local Ace Hardware store in the paint department. I can't see much use for them in a PRB gun.

Back