• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone have a Middlesex village smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 years ago all the prejudice was against CVA guns......now it's India guns.

30 years from now it will be guns from some other country.

Every gun manufacturer has made a bad gun....doesn't mean they are all bad.

fit is no problem with mine ,I have a two thousand dollar Bess that misses fire more often than my Middlesex fowler,The fowler had to have the trigger pull lightened and I refinished it to my liking

Mate, this thing looked like it was made from sardine tins, wood screws, a length of pipe & a limb off some tree.
It is what it is. I can see that. And this one was very agricultural to say the least. Treat it as a kit.
My prejudice does not come into it.
O.

Where did you get it from? as I have purchased two muskets from MVTC and the quality was consistent. I doubt Pete would have sent something out of his shop like that.

Back in post #1477645 I mentioned one of the GENRE, which is style of or category. Now, I don't know if it was supplied by Middlesex village or not, but definitely an Indian made gun according to the vendor.
I did look at a few guns on the Middlesex web site a short time back while looking for a double flint smoothbore. From the photo's there I could see that what I was looking at last week in the flesh was the same animal.
From looking at those photo's I could see then that the type of workmanship displayed is not what I want to purchase. Like I said before; if it suits you, go for it.
AFAIK the only manufacturer of muzzleloaders in Australia at this time is Green River Rifle Works in Adelaide S.A. He uses American parts, like Siler locks & Coleraine barrels & curly maple.
There are some gunsmiths who will do the work but are not actual producers.
O.

colorado clyde said:
Where did you get it from?

Indeed!

India is a very large country with many gun makers...some good and some manure.

Interesting categorization Clyde. So, in your inimitable experience...

What "country's" guns are worse than any of the India-made ones?

Will you name the "good" India-made brands as well as the other-country's worse brands for us!?

The members are clearly interested in this!

Interesting categorization Clyde. So, in your inimitable experience...

Will you name the "good" India-made brands as well as the other-country's worse brands for us!?

The members are clearly interested in this!

Ooh! if only it were that simple, that black and white. Then we could all sleep at night. :haha:

The problem I have with India guns....and I think you do as well....is that with muzzleloaders there doesn't seem to be specifically identifiable brands or brand names to build a reputation on. So we identify with importers, so when someone gets a bad gun the importer and all guns from India get a bad rap.

If we just take a look at Thompson Center a beloved and great American muzzleloader. Look at all the problems they had. Now they are no longer in business, but many people still love them because for awhile the made a great product.

colorado clyde said:
Ooh! if only it were that simple, that black and white. Then we could all sleep at night.

Forget brands then because, of course you're right, India-made guns are from unknown sources. Yet I note they're all immediately identifiable by simply looking at one even from a distance -- funny that.

Per your own observations and statements above, though, just tell us what other countries' blackpowder guns (and you can name THEIR brands if you like) are worse than India-made. You made the claim -- it really is as simple enough a question for you to answer and I'm getting tired.

U.S. made, Thompson/Center, is one of your choices then as worse than India-made guns. Brilliant, thanks. Where, who, else please?

Alden said:

Anything from one of the African nations.
Almost anything from the South American nations.

Almost anything from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan. Thailand, New Guinea, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam.

That aught to work for starters.

Oh. Japan has sent us some really poorly made muzzleloaders too. :grin:

Nobody hears about the truly crappy guns because a gun has to have some level of decency to gain notoriety and popularity.

Anybody remember the cheap .22 rifles that feed and seed salesmen use to give to farmers? who made those? they are about as rare as gyrojets.

19 16 6 said:
Back in post #1477645 I mentioned one of the GENRE, which is style of or category. Now, I don't know if it was supplied by Middlesex village or not, but definitely an Indian made gun according to the vendor.
I did look at a few guns on the Middlesex web site a short time back while looking for a double flint smoothbore. From the photo's there I could see that what I was looking at last week in the flesh was the same animal.
From looking at those photo's I could see then that the type of workmanship displayed is not what I want to purchase. Like I said before; if it suits you, go for it.
AFAIK the only manufacturer of muzzleloaders in Australia at this time is Green River Rifle Works in Adelaide S.A. He uses American parts, like Siler locks & Coleraine barrels & curly maple.
There are some gunsmiths who will do the work but are not actual producers.
O.

Tell me more about the shortcomings of the workmanship of that particular double gun.

I can only speak for what is visible to me in the photo's presented. Therefore it is mostly cosmetic & degree of finish. Function I cannot tell from a picture.
Beauty is only skin deep I know, but in a manufactured item I take it as a sign of care & skill & precision Of manufacture.
I see a road sign that reads Saltwater Creed Road & expect it to lead to or run beside a saltwater creek.
O.
Is that where I want to go ? The choice is mine.

Maybe Silly Mountain Road would be more to your liking.

Although hardly a road, the incline is definitely mountain, and there ain't nuthin' silly about it.

colorado clyde said:
I'm not up to speed on Australia's gun laws... but does anyone make muzzleloaders down under?

Yep, there are a few. Are we talking assembling parts, or building from scratch?

Back