• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Transportable Convertible Pistol Loading Stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muzzleloader Pistol Loading Stand Project

Most of the pistol loading stands I've seen are for cap 'n ball revolvers, and if for muzzleloaders, are too bulky and/or capable of being used with only a single pistol. So the project goal was to design and build a muzzleloader pistol loading stand that was at the same time both easily transportable and easily convertible.

The concept I came up with was to separate the functions of the horizontal base and the vertical pistol support arm. The goal of the build was to prove out the concept and to produce a sturdy and functional loading stand. There was no intention and no effort made to "prettify" the device. It was built mostly from scrap closet organizer panels. So I just painted them.

The device consists of a common base, with a separate vertical support arm sized and contoured specifically for the size and shape of each pistol. The base has a couple small boxes that can be used to hold loading supplies. The underside of the base has anti-slip foam padding. The support arm has two felt-lined crades for supporting the pistol by its barrel and its grip, with another felt bumper strip for the butt.

For loading, the support arm for the specific pistol being loaded is inserted into the base and is held in place by a couple of dowel pins. A leather thong is tied through the support arm and around the pistol to keep it tight to the support arm while loading.

For transport, the support arm is detached from the base, making for a "flat" package that's easy to put in a range bag.

Will I adapt this for my revolvers? I don't know. The requirements are different due to accomodating hammer, cylinder and rammer. We'll see.

Pics below:

View attachment 262053View attachment 262054View attachment 262055View attachment 262056View attachment 262057View attachment 262058
Your stands are very well thought out !!
Many single shot ML pistols have wrist areas that can be cracked if loaded with a tight PRB load, your designs compensates for that.

...., your designs compensates for that.
Thanks. To some degree, yes, though I'm considering adding a third cradle, which should reduce the risk to near zero.

But ..... precisely locating a third point of equal contact in between two existing points and along a curved line is a nit-picky trial and error exercise I'm not at all enthused about undertaking. :confused:

Last edited:
Testing out the transportable convertible pistol loading stand with a trip to the range:

Packed up to go for two pistols
stand_range_1.JPG

... though pursuing some improvement there might be a good idea.

Assemble for and load and shoot the Kentucky
stand_range_2.JPG

... with absolutely no problems.

Assemble for and load the Queen Anne
stand_range_3.JPG

... again no problems. (Let it be noted the two holes in the target were from the Kentucky, not the QA, which hadn't been shot yet, though yes, this time out I did actually hit paper with the thing).

No cracked wrists even though the QA was really tight, and required a mallet to get it started, even with a thin 0.010 patch.

Last edited:
Muzzleloader Pistol Loading Stand Project

Most of the pistol loading stands I've seen are for cap 'n ball revolvers, and if for muzzleloaders, are too bulky and/or capable of being used with only a single pistol. So the project goal was to design and build a muzzleloader pistol loading stand that was at the same time both easily transportable and easily convertible.

The concept I came up with was to separate the functions of the horizontal base and the vertical pistol support arm. The goal of the build was to prove out the concept and to produce a sturdy and functional loading stand. There was no intention and no effort made to "prettify" the device. It was built mostly from scrap closet organizer panels. So I just painted them.

The device consists of a common base, with a separate vertical support arm sized and contoured specifically for the size and shape of each pistol. The base has a couple small boxes that can be used to hold loading supplies. The underside of the base has anti-slip foam padding. The support arm has two felt-lined crades for supporting the pistol by its barrel and its grip, with another felt bumper strip for the butt.

For loading, the support arm for the specific pistol being loaded is inserted into the base and is held in place by a couple of dowel pins. A leather thong is tied through the support arm and around the pistol to keep it tight to the support arm while loading.

For transport, the support arm is detached from the base, making for a "flat" package that's easy to put in a range bag.

Will I adapt this for my revolvers? I don't know. The requirements are different due to accomodating hammer, cylinder and rammer. We'll see.

Pics below:

View attachment 262053View attachment 262054View attachment 262055View attachment 262056View attachment 262057View attachment 262058
I like it, good idea! Are you going to produce it commercially ?

I really like that design / lay out concept. A couple questions:
1) Are these made from wood / PLA / ???
2) Are you willing to share rough drawing or dimensions so I can fabricate one for my own personal use?

One observation, I think adding a third support pad to support area in the wrist would be good. Perhaps make it adjustable with a movable pad / pin. perhaps the other pads could be movable / adjustable with pins and variable sizes to make a fully adjustable support. This would eliminate the need for multiple custom sized holder frames….

CW

I think one with a small hydraulic or air cylinder with a foot actuating pedal would be the berries, just position the cylinder or barrel with the ball on top under the cylinder and hit the pedal and ram the ball down.

I really like that design / lay out concept. A couple questions:
1) Are these made from wood / PLA / ???
2) Are you willing to share rough drawing or dimensions so I can fabricate one for my own personal use?

One observation, I think adding a third support pad to support area in the wrist would be good. Perhaps make it adjustable with a movable pad / pin. perhaps the other pads could be movable / adjustable with pins and variable sizes to make a fully adjustable support. This would eliminate the need for multiple custom sized holder frames….

CW
Just made from some scrapped closet organizer panels. Wasn't done to be pretty, just to be functional and test out the concepts. Sorry, I already threw out the templates, and whatever you make for your own use will depend on your guns' outlines anyway. The suggestions you made are good ones, and ones I've either considered or am considering for a "final" build, which I'm afraid I'm in no hurry to do, since the prototype works. The movable pads was one of my first concept choices I had to set aside, at least for the prototype, because pad contact placement is actually pretty touchy, and getting a fine enough placement with the materials I was working with, or the time and effort I wanted to expend, just wasn't feasible. But it is actually a great idea - if it can be well implemented. Thanks for your thoughtful comments. :thumb:

Last edited:
I guess I have to decide between going all-wood "traditional" or going "modern". Infinitely variable contact pad positioning would be pretty easy using velcro. Somehow that just doesn't seem to go well with an 18th century pistol, though.

Just made from some scrapped closet organizer panels. Wasn't done to be pretty, just to be functional and test out the concepts. Sorry, I already threw out the templates, and whatever you make for your own use will depend on your guns' outlines anyway. The suggestions you made are good ones, and ones I've either considered or am considering for a "final" build, which I'm afraid I'm in no hurry to do, since the prototype works. The movable pads was one of my first concept choices I had to set aside, at least for the prototype, because pad contact placement is actually pretty touchy, and getting a fine enough placement with the materials I was working with, or the time and effort I wanted to expend, just wasn't feasible. But it is actually a great idea - if it can be well implemented. Thanks for your thoughtful comments. :thumb:
Ok thanks for the response. If you’re OK with it, I have a run at making one based on the pictures and rough estimate of dimensions. Don’t want to be accused of swiping your design.

As for material, I’ll probably start off with white wood or pine for the prototype and if that looks good and is functional build one from hardwood ( walnut or maple or red oak).

IMHO using this will be way safer that hand holding the barrel while trying to do other stuff one handed AND keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction so the local RSO does not freak out. Showing up at the range with a black powder flinter draws more than enough attention. Handling the gun in a safe manner but in a way they are unfamiliar with just makes the RSO’s nervous as hell…. But once you demonstrate to them that your being exceptionally safe with good muzzle discipline, they do relax a bit…

Latest posts

Back