• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Transportable Convertible Pistol Loading Stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Muzzleloader Pistol Loading Stand Project

Most of the pistol loading stands I've seen are for cap 'n ball revolvers, and if for muzzleloaders, are too bulky and/or capable of being used with only a single pistol. So the project goal was to design and build a muzzleloader pistol loading stand that was at the same time both easily transportable and easily convertible.

The concept I came up with was to separate the functions of the horizontal base and the vertical pistol support arm. The goal of the build was to prove out the concept and to produce a sturdy and functional loading stand. There was no intention and no effort made to "prettify" the device. It was built mostly from scrap closet organizer panels. So I just painted them.

The device consists of a common base, with a separate vertical support arm sized and contoured specifically for the size and shape of each pistol. The base has a couple small boxes that can be used to hold loading supplies. The underside of the base has anti-slip foam padding. The support arm has two felt-lined crades for supporting the pistol by its barrel and its grip, with another felt bumper strip for the butt.

For loading, the support arm for the specific pistol being loaded is inserted into the base and is held in place by a couple of dowel pins. A leather thong is tied through the support arm and around the pistol to keep it tight to the support arm while loading.

For transport, the support arm is detached from the base, making for a "flat" package that's easy to put in a range bag.

Will I adapt this for my revolvers? I don't know. The requirements are different due to accomodating hammer, cylinder and rammer. We'll see.

Pics below:

stand_1.JPG
stand_2.JPG
stand_3.JPG
stand_4.JPG
stand_5.JPG
stand_6.JPG

Muzzleloader Pistol Loading Stand Project

Most of the pistol loading stands I've seen are for cap 'n ball revolvers, and if for muzzleloaders, are too bulky and/or capable of being used with only a single pistol. So the project goal was to design and build a muzzleloader pistol loading stand that was at the same time both easily transportable and easily convertible.

The concept I came up with was to separate the functions of the horizontal base and the vertical pistol support arm. The goal of the build was to prove out the concept and to produce a sturdy and functional loading stand. There was no intention and no effort made to "prettify" the device. It was built mostly from scrap closet organizer panels. So I just painted them.

The device consists of a common base, with a separate vertical support arm sized and contoured specifically for the size and shape of each pistol. The base has a couple small boxes that can be used to hold loading supplies. The underside of the base has anti-slip foam padding. The support arm has two felt-lined crades for supporting the pistol by its barrel and its grip, with another felt bumper strip for the butt.

For loading, the support arm for the specific pistol being loaded is inserted into the base and is held in place by a couple of dowel pins. A leather thong is tied through the support arm and around the pistol to keep it tight to the support arm while loading.

For transport, the support arm is detached from the base, making for a "flat" package that's easy to put in a range bag.

Will I adapt this for my revolvers? I don't know. The requirements are different due to accomodating hammer, cylinder and rammer. We'll see.

Pics below:

View attachment 262053View attachment 262054View attachment 262055View attachment 262056View attachment 262057View attachment 262058
Nice for holding a gun at the range while range is cold or pouring powder down the bore, though I would not suggest seating a patched ball or aggressive cleaning while supported in a stand like that. Grasp the gun around the barrel and forearm of the stock with your hand to avoid putting excessive strain on stock where it transitions to the grip. I saw quite a few broken TC Patriot stocks from loading or cleaning them in a loading stand supporting the gun similar to your design, typically identical or similar to the one pictured in the TC instruction manual. Repaired a number of them for folks after TC ran out of spare stocks.
1680029377692.png

Nice for holding a gun at the range while range is cold or pouring powder down the bore, though I would not suggest seating a patched ball or aggressive cleaning while supported in a stand like that.
It's fine. I've done the same as you suggest not doing with a predecessor model. Typically you'd be grasping the gun around barrel and support while doing anything forceful, anyway, and that's the reason for the slim support. Also the design is intended to direct the force into the support structure and through that into the base. That's one reason why the barrel isn't vertical and why there's a grip pad and a butt pad. (The other reason the barrel isn't vertical should be obvious). The major defects I see in the loading stand you pictured are that the barrel is exactly vertical with no support (other than constraint), and you can't grip it, (and the obvious), and there's no support at the grip. No wonder the stock is overstressed. All the stress from ramming goes straight down into the stock's wrist. Not to mention the stand's base is way too narrow. It's not stable. (Note it states it has to be clamped. Not suitable for most range use. Mine doesn't). I wouldn't use that stand either.

Last edited:
I wonder how many pistol wrists have been cracked or broken by someone pounding down a tight ball while set in one of these stands.
Yes, definitely need support in that area. It's got me thinking I might add even a third cradle to the support arm. Three of the four support arms already have an angle that could easily take one. I'd have to modify the Kentucky support a bit, or make another, but that was the first one I made.

IAlso the design is intended to direct the force into the support structure and through that into the base. That's one reason why the barrel isn't vertical and why there's a grip pad and a butt pad.
I’m not sure how the force is directed into the support structure without direct contact with the stock behind the center of the bore, whether the barrel is vertical, horizontal or somewhere in between, or does my primitive markup misrepresent your design? Doesn’t matter I guess, your gun.
1697862808071.jpeg

Nice for holding a gun at the range while range is cold or pouring powder down the bore, though I would not suggest seating a patched ball or aggressive cleaning while supported in a stand like that. Grasp the gun around the barrel and forearm of the stock with your hand to avoid putting excessive strain on stock where it transitions to the grip. I saw quite a few broken TC Patriot stocks from loading or cleaning them in a loading stand supporting the gun similar to your design, typically identical or similar to the one pictured in the TC instruction manual. Repaired a number of them for folks after TC ran out of spare stocks.
1680029377692.png
I agree with your suggestion to hold on to the barrel while cleaning or driving the charge home. It just seems like common sense, unless of course your a one armed pistolero.

I’m not sure how the force is directed into the support structure without direct contact with the stock behind the center of the bore, whether the barrel is vertical, horizontal or somewhere in between, or does my primitive markup misrepresent your design? Doesn’t matter I guess, your gun.
Because it's at an angle. Basic physics force vectors. Some of the force down the bore axis translates into force back against the butt.
Scan.jpeg

The amount of "twist" on the wrist is due to the magnitude of the force and length of the moment arm, both of which are reduced by the slant.
Scan 1.jpeg

Last edited:
I had two muzzleloading pistols when I started out 10 years ago. A double barrel percussion and a single barrel flintlock. I made a stand to convert by slipping a different sized barrel holder over the upright Which is hinged and folds down. Fits nicely into the metal box I used to take them to the range.

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Looks like a nice simple design. Two questions, first what is the block on the back of the upright for? and second what are the five holes on the base front for?

How about an adjustable arm that swings around and locks into place behind the trigger guard to help hold it in place, and also take the force of ramming the ball home without as much worry about busting or cracking the stock?

How about an adjustable arm that swings around and locks into place behind the trigger guard to help hold it in place, and also take the force of ramming the ball home without as much worry about busting or cracking the stock?
Interesting idea. Can you post a sketch of your concept?

wiscoaster,
Never thought of setting a single shot pistol up at an angle; makes sense and I’ve just started a stand for the Pedersolli ‘Kentucky’ that incorporates your ideas.
Thanks muchly.
Although when I start to modify this pistol into something more traditional I’ll be putting a concealed strengthener into the butt.

Latest posts

Back