• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another barrel lug question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Ross

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This has to do with how tight the pin is held in the lug and accuracy. I had a GPR barrel pin fall out while hunting when I slipped and hit the ground. I don't believe the barrel hit the ground just the impact of me hitting the ground when I slipped and the sudden stop gave the pin enough velocity to pop out, as I was holding the barrel and stock and squeezed it when I fell. When I fall I do every thing I can to protect the gun. Anyway if I tighten the pin hold it via tapping the lug will it change the point of impact if nothing else moved? DANNY

I have the same gun that had the same issue. I bent a little arc in the wedge key and then marked it on the top with a center punch. One prick for front key and two for the rear. Mark is on top so I know which way to install it. It didn't seem to impact the POI for this particular rifle.
String

You could always pin the wedge so that if it does come out , it will not fall completely out

Installing a slotted key and retainer is an easy winter project. You can buy already slotted keys, or slot the ones you have. If buying new keys, try to match thickness, width and length. To slot your current keys mark the centerline, drill a series of eighth inch holes along the line, join and smooth with Swiss files.

Mod the stock by removing escutcheons on one side, then cut a shallow vee groove in the center of each mortise. Use pliers to cut lengths of a sewing pin to drop in the grooves. Reassemble everything with the pin through the key, clamping the pin in place with the escutcheon.

I find the best way to adjust tension of the keys in the loops is to use two hammers. Lay the round head of one hammer in the center of the loop, then give it a moderate swat with the other hammer. Try the barrel and key in the stock. Adjust further if necessary. I suppose a short section of one inch steel bar stock would be more elegant tooling, but the hammers get the job done fine.

White Fox

White Fox said:
Installing a slotted key and retainer is an easy winter project. You can buy already slotted keys, or slot the ones you have. If buying new keys, try to match thickness, width and length. To slot your current keys mark the centerline, drill a series of eighth inch holes along the line, join and smooth with Swiss files.

Mod the stock by removing escutcheons on one side, then cut a shallow vee groove in the center of each mortise. Use pliers to cut lengths of a sewing pin to drop in the grooves. Reassemble everything with the pin through the key, clamping the pin in place with the escutcheon.

I find the best way to adjust tension of the keys in the loops is to use two hammers. Lay the round head of one hammer in the center of the loop, then give it a moderate swat with the other hammer. Try the barrel and key in the stock. Adjust further if necessary. I suppose a short section of one inch steel bar stock would be more elegant tooling, but the hammers get the job done fine.

White Fox

Can we get a picture of this? MY GPR wedge pin is loose as well.

Back