• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And so the wait begins ;)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
As some of you mighty hunters and shooters know, after selling a few CF and BP guns and making enough money off of them I decided to order a custom rifle.
Of course, I have 60% of money to my wife so my conscience would stay in shape :)

The rest went to the project.
It'll be as follows:

Style: Early Lancaster
Wood: p++ curly maple (around 100% curl)
Trigger: Davis single hunting trigger (2-3lbs or so)
Barrel: Colerain, straight 42"x7/8 with round bottom groove
Caliber: .50
Patchbox: Yes, wooden one
Furniture: brass
Builder: Mike Lange
Price: Too good to pass
Expected delivery date: Beginning of October 2013

At this point I would like to thank all and each of you who did not curse me out when I sent you a zillions questions and repeated for another zillion "are you sure it'll work?" :grin:

I will keep you posted with the progress.
Thank you yet again

amikee

glad to see you went for nice wood ... what seems an extravagance now will set a good investment later ... you're gonna really like your new rifle! make good smoke!

You're insane Semisane! Good idea. I need to set it up on my desktop. Thank you

Tick Tock
Tick Tock
TICK TOCK

In Poe's 'The Telltale Heart' he walled in her body, but could still hear her heartbeat, and it eventually drove him insane.

Don't let this happen to you. Couple 'a shots of Bourbon or a Single Malt before bedtime will be mandatory medicine to help you keep your wits about you until delivery.

AZbpBurner said:
Tick Tock
Tick Tock
TICK TOCK

In Poe's 'The Telltale Heart' he walled in her body, but could still hear her heartbeat, and it eventually drove him insane.

Don't let this happen to you. Couple 'a shots of Bourbon or a Single Malt before bedtime will be mandatory medicine to help you keep your wits about you until delivery.

You read my mind about the stiff drink before bedtime. If ya don't you'll be sleep deprived an time will move even slower.

The shortest time was offered by Ross Westgate-about 3-5 weeks or sooner, but price was.........way up there......high. At least for my wallet. Pm me if interested.

I just received two Hatfield rifles that I won on an auction. The shipping time was about 7 days and I was like a kid waiting for Santa. If I had to wait 7 months or longer I would be a total basket case. :grin: Now that I think of it, I'm not that far off now according to my wife. :haha:

It could be worse
My first custom longrifle (a Lancaster)
I waited 6 months and was told my gun was finished
I agreed to pick it up that weekend and a tornado droped a tree on the gun shop the next day

Wasn't this at Tip's? I have heard that story before somewhere here. That's absolutely crazy

Amikee said:
As some of you mighty hunters and shooters know, after selling a few CF and BP guns and making enough money off of them I decided to order a custom rifle.
Of course, I have 60% of money to my wife so my conscience would stay in shape :)

The rest went to the project.
It'll be as follows:

Style: Early Lancaster
Wood: p++ curly maple (around 100% curl)
Trigger: Davis single hunting trigger (2-3lbs or so)
Barrel: Colerain, straight 42"x7/8 with round bottom groove
Caliber: .50
Patchbox: Yes, wooden one
Furniture: brass
Builder: Mike Lange
Price: Too good to pass
Expected delivery date: Beginning of October 2013

At this point I would like to thank all and each of you who did not curse me out when I sent you a zillions questions and repeated for another zillion "are you sure it'll work?" :grin:

I will keep you posted with the progress.
Thank you yet again

amikee

Sounds good though I have to wonder why not a swamped barrel and perhaps a little shorter, maybe 38-39 inches
Tom Patton

I like hang on the targets and some extra weight to reduce recoil. Plus my budget limit was met so this worked out perfect. And this Chambers Deluxe makes me very happy.

no it was at a builder's near Tuscaloosa Al

Tip's is where I went for plan B
and I don't regret it for a minute

All things considered I came out smelling like a rose
But still it was a roller coaster of emotion for a few days

Oh I bet it was blood freezing! All this waiting time and then ooops! Glad all worked out well for you ;)

Congrats on the new rifle. Mike Lange makes some great looking but plain rifles. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jim

Congrats! Sounds like you will have a great rifle, and I think you did great on the wood choice too. Mine is pretty plain, and while I like them plain (so not complaining), there is just something about some of the figured grain stocks that many here post that is just beautiful.

Your and SleeperNY posts are appreciated. When my early Lancaster builder got our heads together more than a year ago I did a lot of style research and decided that, likely, back in 1760'ish, a man of my current status, translated, would not have been able to afford a heavily engraved/decorated Lancaster so I chose a fairly plain rifle with a wooden patch-box, single trigger and accepted a couple of "freckles" in the walnut. Almost went for iron metalwork but my builder said it was not appropriate even for a working man's rifle so I went for brass. I am very pleased with the plain rifle; suits me well. "Form follows function" kind of thing. baxter

You can't go wrong with Mike Lange. I have a friend who has had several rifles built by him. He is a great guy to work with, extremely honest and, does good work.

Back