• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a very confusing deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed reading your post. It was a great hunting adventure with a good ending. Being able to still be getting out in the field with your flintlock and making meat for your freezer is a true blessing my friend. I hope you have many more adventures in the future.

Good going Spence! Always enjoy going along on your hunts. Thanks for sharing and hope more to follow even if you have to walk around the fence :rotf: Dan.

Thanks Spence, for sharing your hunt with us, you are a great story teller and fine hunter.

I am always amazed at how far a deer can go with a big hole through both lungs, and being able to track is, as you bring out, an important aspect of the hunt. I hope to read more about your hunts in the future.

Deputy Dog said:
What is the powder horn from, it looks like it might be bison.......robin :hmm: :idunno:
Yeah, it is. That horn was made by a dear old friend, Paul Blakeman, now gone where the powder is always dry. It was made when he was quite old, the design shows his shaky hands. I have had it for many years, haven't used it much, but decided to wear it for a while.

Bison were quite plentiful when Kentucky was being settled, but I don't see many bison powder horns, don't know why.

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a long story, my first BP deer, but here goes. I had killed many deer with modern, but decided to go BP. I had gotten to the point I only wanted good bucks and would hunt for several days until I located one and then went after him. On the 3rd.day of this hunt I located a good one and jumped him out of his bed in late afternoon. I backtracked him to where he had crossed a ridge leaving a good trail. At which point I planned an ambush picking out a good place for a stand and cleared debris so I would not make a sound. Next morning I was back there before daylight. Just a little after light I heard him coming. When he came into view I could only see the top of his head bobbing up and down as he walked by. I decided to try a head shot and fired. He went down like a rock and was up just as fast and out of sight. I looked around for blood----- none but leaves torn up and fine hair everywhere. How could this be??????? I followed tracks a way and no blood. I scratched my head all afternoon and decided I would be back next day and was, with a new stand. Around 7.30 I hear him on his way. He is almost to me and stopped. I hear a snort and said OH SH&#$@ another hunter has come down the ridge and blew his nose right on the trail. WRONG, it was him. He starts walking again right to me and at the top of my ridge about 50 yd. away wide open, stops and looks at me. BOOM !!!!!!! And when I walk up to him I see a perfect .50 round hole in his right ear as well as one behind the shoulder. Same deer shot two days in a row. A nice 8 pointer for my first BP deer. I took many deer in years later with my TC .50.

Awesome! Hope to report similar in a few days! Also hope to hop fences in a few years! My ol man was still cutting splitting and stacking his firewood at 82 till mom got down, then his last years spent as a caretaker! Yer a lucky man! :thumbsup:

I did one more head shot later on a very nice buck. And when I tried to pull him out of the woods by his antlers the whole top of his head came off in my hands. He was dead,but it seemed disrespectful some how. LAST TIME I DID THAT. ----I have always felt sorry for every animal of fish I have killed, and I have killed a LOT of both.

Great story Spence and that is pretty buck, I haven't seen many but to me a buck with that roman nose is quite hansom and the few I have seen have all been big bodied.

creek

Thanks, Brother Spence. A great and heart-felt story. My father just turned 78 on the day you posted this, and I'm afraid he has hunted his last time. His mental state and muscular health has degraded drastically in the last three months.. Please, everyone pray, or think a good thought. His only desire this Thanksgiving week was to take my nephew out to shoot a deer (which he did not get to do).. I always enjoy and appreciate your post, as I do many of you..

Smoothbores rule.....

Mike

Mike,
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It hurts to watch our parents get old and feeble. I lost my Mom this year and my Dad is in poor health. I can empathize with you somewhat. My prayers are with you.

Jeff

Back