• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 smoothbore Enfield loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adbranaman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just recently bought this smoothy from MVTC. It's partly for reenacting and mostly for hunting. I figure with the right loads I can hunt squirrel,turkey,and deer. :hmm: Now the big thing is to figure the loads. Any body have any ideas. I figure that a round ball would proably be better then a mini,cause I can use a patch for better gas check.Also I live in a hilly brushy part of the country. Most deer shots would be between 50-75 yards.As for shot I'm thinking #6 or #5 for squirrels and turkey. I don't really want to carry a lot of different sized shot.

I don't know anything about an Enfield, but as a smoothbore I would recommend that you use the patched round ball not the mini, like you said, you can get a better gas seal. For shot, I would recommend #5, better for squirrels and will work very well on turkey. You will have test fire it to find the best patterning powder loads for round balls and then shot. Have fun with it, smoothies are the best :thumbsup:

I my Enfield, I used a 562 PRB or 24Ga wad RB Wad or 1 oz. of shot all with 60-65 gr. 3f. Shot well.

Thanks, I have a Plumber bro-in- law. Got a bunch of lead on the back porch.Just haven't figured a way to melt it off the pipes yet. I guess my jet heater could do it.

I sent off to Track of the Wolf for wads and 562 PRB's. Thought I'd try em before I buy a mold. I also squashed and cut a couple round balls and made ol fashioned shot.Just wondering what kind of pattern they create. :hmm: I well eventually buy some regular shot.

Back