• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 to .54 Worth it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a GPR percussion in .50 & I've been thinking about buying a second barrel in .54
I don't hunt out West for the big stuff, although I do have one trip planned for later this year.
Will I really gain any advantage by switching to .54?
I don't mind spending the money for all the extras (jags, cleaning gear etc...) if I'm going to gain a large advantage, but if a .50 would do the job on a cow elk, I'd rather save the money for the hunt. I've got the .50 dialed in really well out to 100yds & I wouldn't hesitate to drop the hammer on a whitetail, but I'm not sure about anything bigger.
I'd really like to hear opinions from folks that've hunted large game with both, if possible.

Oh, if it makes any difference, I'm shooting a PRB.
Actually, now I think of it, would I possibly gain anything by trying a different, heavier, projectile, or is diameter more important?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm used to hunting with a longbow!

:vThe small increase in diameter gives a large increase in mass, thus more penetration at the same velocity. Kind of like archery, heavier arrows tend to penetrate more, more damage. While a large number of elk are killed with a .50, I believe that a .54 or a .58 offers more insurance when things are not perfect.
BTW, welcome to a great way to spend money and more time outdoors. :v

I believe that diamater trumps bullet weight BUT accuracy trumps all (with in reason :wink: )

I am a HUGE fan of the .54 (and HIGHLY recomend them!) but it sounds like you have your .50 dialed in. I think that the .50 with a PRB would be "ok" on an elk; Id keep it under 100 yards and use at least 80 grains of powder.

Good Luck.... Will be expecting to see some pictures. :grin:

I don't know much or have experience with elk hunting but if I werer you I'd get a .54 caliber barrel because it would give me a little more insurance using roundball. Plus I love .54s :thumbsup:

All I can say is, I liked the preformance of the .54 cal so much I bought a .58 cal. :haha: :thumbsup: I wouldn't hesitate to use a .54 on anything, within reason. I'd really have to think about the .50 on certain things and ranges. But I like big balls to begin with. :thumbsup:

Get the 54-barrel and sell the 50!
I have killed four elk in my hunting endeavors.
They are big and tough, I haven't shot one with a BP gun, yet, but I would want the extra oomph!
Besides the GPR in 54 cal is a wonderful rifle.

I'm predjidus, I love the 54.
Guy I know an see at several vou's and I were talkin caliber one time, with me expounding the virtues of the 54.
He had picked up a garage sale Renegade 54 for a good price and had it for sale,,
he said "All I shoot is .50's!"
I borrowed it, as never before fired by me that day, and outshot him in every match, using MY patch, ball, powder and experiance with that particular gun an barrel. :blah:
He still sold the gun, and doesn't talk to me much anymore :redface:
Buy the .54 barrel, then recoup your money by selling the .50 :thumbsup:

Agree with the above...if we think about it the .50cal / 177grn ball is basically the 100 yard .30-30 / 170grn bullet deer gun of muzzleloaders in the woods.

For Elk/Moose I'd personally want something with both more "whompability" (like my .58cal :grin: ) and better longer distance capability, particularly if a big shoulder bone gets in the way, etc.

(and Yes, I know...somebody, somewhere has probably killed an elk with a .22 rifle...AND there has also probably been a lot of elk lost due to too small of a caliber being used)

roundball said:
"whompability"

Now there's a word I need to get into a conversation! :haha:

Thanks for the advice so far guys.
My currentload for the .50 is a .490 ball, .018 patch with Moose Snot & 75gn of GOEX 3F. I know it's more than enough 'Whomp' ( :haha: ) for our little Tennessee deer out to 100. I've tried upping my powder load to 90gn (by 5gn increments) but my groups really start to open up past 80gn. In testing, I consistantly found that 75gn shot much better groups than any oher load & to me, accuracy is everything. Iwas always told that an underpowered shot in the right place beats the hell out of a well powered shot in the wrong place!

robtattoo said:
roundball said:
"whompability"

Now there's a word I need to get into a conversation! :haha:

Several years during my first range trip with my first .58cal I was struck by it's power...and the term "Whompability" surfaced and stuck with me.
It seemed a lot more of an exponential step up in power, than say a .54cal step up over a .50cal...I assume the frontal area contributes to that.

Better check the firearm requirements for elk hunting for whatever state you go to. In Utah, for elk you must use a 210 grain or heavier bullet, or a sabot bullet that's at least 240 grains. That eliminates the .50 caliber roundball although a conical could be legal. So could a double-round balled .50, but I do not recommend that. The .50 would work OK for heart-lung shots (if legal in the state you hunt in), but probably not for big bones. As for accuracy, probably basketball sized groups at 100 yards would hit that area. But if I used a .50 I'd use the heaviest load that I could shoot well. Lyman's 2nd edition Black Powder Handbook lists 120 grains max load in a .50 caliber with a 177 grain roundball with BOTH Goex 2F AND 3F in a 32" barrel at 1991 fps and 2045 fps. Your 75 grains of Goex 3F is probably about 1697 fps. That would kill elk with a rib shot, but what if you hit that big shoulder bone?

The 54 is a minimum ML caliber allowed for elk in some states, so I suggest that you check the regs in the state you plan to hunt.

That said, there is a difference between the 50 and 54, but the 54 needs more powder to make that difference apparent.

God bless

The .50 will work well for up to larger deer. I have not hunted anythimg larger, so can't comment on that exceptin fer the I heards . . . I have GPRs in both .50 and .54 and both shoot equally well. I got the .50 first and shot it for several years before I came across a lightly used .54. The .50 has become a "safe queen" since then. Kinda like Swampy said - I liked the .54 so well, I bought a .58. Guess I like the "whompability" factor, too. I like the .54 a lot - get both. :thumbsup:

Forgot to add . . . With a longbow, you may get an opportunity to get a decent second shot, with a ML, the chances for a quick second are pretty slim . . . so make #1 count.

robtattoo said:
I was always told that an underpowered shot in the right place beats the hell out of a well powered shot in the wrong place!

You got that right :grin:
And it sounds like you've done your homework with your 50, given that, I can understand why ya wanna keep it, it's a know an trusted load.
You will hafta go through the work to get the 54 shootin the same an that can take some time.
But if you do make the switch,,you'll never go back :wink:
Do you have a particular barrel in mind, or are ya still kickin it?

I'm just looking at the standard barrel, to be honest, Midsouth have just got them back into stock at $117. I'd have to hack off the standard rear sight & replace it with a little primitive job like I have on my 'fiddy' & de-blue it, but from my (limited) experience, the stock Investarms barrel seems to be more than accurate enough for me!

I've just ordered an RE Davis trigger, after much research & I'm hoping that'll improve accuracy a little too.

That's really hard to pin down. So much depends on a guy's patch/lube combo.
I've been shooting the Cabelas/Investarms for a long time, they make a nickel plated bore and a plain steel. I had really great accuracy with a tight 1-7 ballistal dry-lube patch and just over 80grns 2f T7 (that T7 is like swiss-hot/fast) in the factory 1-48. Later stepped'r up to a gm drop-in slow, that thing will drive tacks with 70grns, same patch an powder. I wouldn't hessitate to use that on a "once in a life time" Minn WT or black bear.

And your gonna love that Davis trigger :thumbsup: Nice clean break!

If you really want to see the difference, hang a 3/8" by 12" square steel plate on a chain at 50 yds.
Watch the difference of impact with 90 grs. of black.
That will make up your mind.
All of the advice you get here will be well explained.
Old Ford

Surprisingly, the .54 carries 27% more mass than the .50. That's pretty substantial. Due to the limitations of blackpowder you can drive them to about the same speed with a "routine" load, so the .54 pulls ahead in . . . whompability.

I like 'em both for whitetail, but I can see where the .54 has an edge when things don't quite go as planned during a shot. An unnoticed twig or a deer taking a sudden step, etc.

well I love .54s! I hunt elk with a cva .54 st. luis hawkens. I shoot 90grains of pyrodex rs and a cast 380 real bullet (conical) got 4 elk with this set up. longest shot was paced around 80 yards. it went down hard all the elk I shot went down to stay. only had one scare shot one it took 2 steps then he droped. this load is like the dukes of hazed wamy shells. :rotf: .54 is great for elk. deer also. If you don't mind me asking where you going to hunt elk?

Latest posts

Back