• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommend FFFg hunting load for new CVA 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm looking for recommendations for FFFg hunting loads pushing 250 grain bullets for the CVA Optima LR 50 cal.

Background info:
After 35 years of hunting with a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal with iron sights, I have retired the old faithful rifle. My 60 year old eyes aren't what they used to be and neither is the old rifle. I've repaired and replaced parts a few times along the way but unfortunately reliability has become an issue on two separate hunts last season.

I recently purchased the aforementioned CVA Optima LR 50 cal rifle - it's a very nice hunting rifle and I'm pleased with the purchase.
I'll be starting with the Hornady 250 grain SST bullet. It would seem that the powder of choice for this rifle is Blackhorn 209 but I can't see bending over to pay for a product that appears grossly inflated - that and I'm fine with real blackpowder.

Additional info:
I shot the No Exuses 385 grain all lead conical bullets with 60 grains of FFFg in the Thompson. I hunt south Georgia whitetails weight 90 - 150lbs and 90% of my shots are 30 to 50 yds.

Thanks for your replies.

Back