• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Caliber: Deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taken 2 does with 40cal PRB over 40gr Swiss 2f. Both double lung shots under 50yds, neither went more than 30yds.
An accurate shot is most important.

IMG_7555.jpeg

.45 isn't enough round ball for a large bodied ohio deer. We are talking 300 pounds with huge thick bones and a .45 won't penetrate.. A small yearling would be fine . a .45 here in my state..
Ohio Rusty ><>

I had no idea that the Bucks in Ohio were 300 lbs. Best not post that too much. Lots of out of State Hunters will help you collect lots of ground burger. Now here where i live in Mo. most of our Doe's field dress about 105-120 lbs. Bucks tend to run 40-60 lbs heavier. Of course every now and again a big one is killed. Sounds like prb's would bounce y'alls deer. I do like using a .45 & i like eating deer, so i am comfortable with my small deer.

A gentleman called WDM Bell pretty well proved that bullet placement trumps energy or diameter even on the largest and thickest hide such as elephant.

If you wonder about how a .440 or .445 round ball will perform on a deer, go shoot a rabbit.
No, I'm not kidding. If you were taking a head shot on a bunny rabbit and accidentally dropped your sight picture a smidgen... you've got a mess to deal with and very little meat to take home.
Yeah, been there, done that. Incorrect follow through when taking the shot.
The bunny went in various directions. Kinda like the Yucatan with Chicxulub.
Imagine that effect on a deer's heart and lungs.
You just have to put Chicxulub where it's 'sposed to go.

Back