• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F in Pedersoli .54 Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Olesen

32 Cal.
Reaction score
All-

I have previously shot 2F Goex in my Cabelas Blue Ridge .54 Flint rifle (Pedersoli Frontier). I had a friend give me some 3F Goex that he didn't want and I was thinking of trying it. I thought maybe it would work better with the patent breech. I recently moved and I misplaced my owners manual from Cabelas. I went to the Pedersoli website and it looks like the max charge is 90 grains, I would assume of 2F.

I thought the Cabelas manual allowed a different max load with a patched round ball and it also listed listed 3F loads. My rifle has the browned barrel so it is a few years old, if that helps.

Any advice would be appreciated, including good ball, patch and powder loads you have come up with.

Have a good one,

PW

FWIW,
Not the same rifle (Mortimer) but same caliber (.54) , twist (1:65) and manufacturer (Pedersoli). Think I have 7 grooves vice 8 in yours.
80gr FFFg Goex, drill patch, .530 ball seem to work pretty well in mine.

Bottom hole is a 3 shot 50 yd group, #'s 1,2 + 3 are 100 yds.

I'd just take your previous best 2F load, reduce by 10-15% and start there.

3Fg powder will work fine in your .54 but because its finer grains burn faster than 2Fg powder does, it's a good idea to reduce the load about 10-15 percent.

Some of the Lyman data shows this 2Fg vs 3Fg loads.

Shooting a .535 diameter patched roundball in a .54 cal, 28" long, 1:48 twist barrel with GOEX powder:

60 grains 2Fg = 1299 fps, 50 grains 3Fg = 1299 fps
70 grains 2Fg = 1409 fps, 60 grains 3Fg = 1435 fps
80 grains 2Fg = 1519 fps, 70 grains 3Fg = 1512 fps

Many have found the 3Fg powder creates less fouling than the 2Fg does so that's another bonus for using it.

As for the 90 grain max powder load with a patched roundball I think there is a bit of butt covering being done by the lawyers.
Your barrel should be safe with a powder charge of a little over 100 grains.

That said, for most if not all hunting situations a 70-80 grain powder load will be more than enough.

The best recommendation is to find the powder load in that area that shoots the best and then stick to it.

The one situation where I definetly do NOT recommend replacing 2Fg powder with 3Fg powder is if you are shooting heavy slugs or bullets.

The heavy weight of these raises the breech pressure greatly so the faster burning 3Fg powder might create a unsafe pressure.
It's worth noting that the 1st edition of the Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL listed some bullet/slug loads using 3Fg powder.
The 2nd edition does not show these 3Fg powder loads with heavy projectiles.

I use 90gr of 3F in my blue ridge, with a .530 ball and ticking patch it will do a touching group at 50yds if I do my part.

I appreciate the help guys. I am sure I will find my owners manual sooner or later, moving is a pain.

I did find my owners manual for my Lyman Great Plains and it does list a .54 3F load as one of you suggested. I will start out at 70 grains or so and work up. Thanks again for the help.

PW

You made a good purchase for a first gun! they make a fine hunting rifle to be sure. I took this young buck with I believe 70gr, .530 ball using 3f powder.
E472A585-8014-4D57-9A99-7C57B7C19B23.jpg

3 f is the universal powder. I only use it. I use it in all my guns. use it to prime a flintlock. burns cleaner, drop down 15percent from loads listed for 2 f.

One thing I noticed in larger bores was recoil. Going to a larger grain lessens recoil. I assume that is because the ball accelerates more gradually.

IF you want a softer shooting gun try 1F. I have a 4-bore. IT will hurt with 325 grains of 3F. The same amount of 1F is easy and fun.

Not the same set up, but I shoot 90 grains of FFFg through my Octagon/Round Barrel in .54 with a .530 round ball.

AS others have said! Should be fine!

With that sized bore, have you ever tried using Cannon granulated powder?

Faster powders burn faster, and yield higher pressures. I suspect if we tested for pressure, loads producing the same velocities will be obtained at less peak breech pressure from the slower powders.

With the velocities most of us shoot at, the pressure capabilities of the barrel really aren't approached, whether we are using 3Fg or 1Fg. Only those seriously competing for Darwin Awards go there.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the help. I enjoy the learning process and utilizing different methods with traditional muzzleloaders it's a great sport. Great picture Bryon, looks like you have nice setup. I am slowly working on the accessories for myself. I have been busy working on a powder horn for my son, then maybe one for me.

Have a good one,

PW

I have a Pedersoli Blue Ridge in .54. Since it has a relatively narrow barrel (7/8") I wanted the Pedersoli Max load data that was not provided in the paperwork provided with the gun. A chart on the Pedersoli website indicated the max was 80 gr Swiss 2F. My best load is 80 gr Goex 3F which I believe provides similar pressures and the best accuracy for me.

Latest posts

Back