• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 vs .40 cal rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to train retrievers during the winter in Georgia and know that there are lots of deer there; some pretty good sized ones, too, as you say. Still, I am real envious of your bag limits. Here,in Ontario, we have a draw for doe tags (in my areas, anyway)which can be 60% successful. Having said this, a few years ago, for a period of 3 years, we could harvest 3 deer, as the numbers were deemed high enough at the time.Unfortunately Ontario government deer numbers assessing processes are far from adequate or accurate, cheers

If you're in this game for long, you'll have both sooner or later. I like the 36, because it's for small game. The 40 seems a little big for small game and kind of small for larger game. 36 balls are readily available. If I was just punching paper, I'd go with the 40.

I shot my 36 yesterday and it is just a joy to shoot. Mine has a Douglas barrel, which is the most accurate barrel, that I've ever owned. I've never seen a BP rifle, that will shoot anything you put in the barrel. 25 grs.35 grs.45 grs., tight patch, loose patch, it just don't matter, that barrel will shoot. I have a dozen or more rifles, and that Douglas barrel is the best.

Thanks guys. Seeing as I will most likely use this more for target / plinking around our property, I ordered a 42" .40 cal Colerain barrel with the round bottom rifling. I figure that this rifle will get used for target shooting probably 75% or so of the time the other 25% for small game hunting.

I went back and forth about the .36, still am a little, but decided that the .40 might be better as .40 is legal also for deer and be used as a back up to my .54 cal. I would rather not use the .40 with a PRB on deer, but if my .54 was down and that was what I need to do for meat then so be it. That would not be an option for the .36.

One thing that I really liked about the .36 cal was the availability of 000 Buckshot at a cheap price. This would be a big + for the .36 cal. However I wanted the versatility of the .40 cal.

Also it seems like the .40 cal is going to be better for target shooting past 25-50 yards then the .36 which is a factor for me. I have a load of lead so I just need to get a bullet mould and I will be set.

Thanks guys for your advise and helping me to decide.

trapper tom PhD said:
Hey deputy dog, I just saw your post stating that your doe limit is 3 per day!? Did ya mean 3 per day or is it 3 per season? Three per day, wow! that's a lotta meat. cheers

The limit is three per DAY. Amazing isn't it? The limit on Bucks is three per season, one each in archery, muzzle loader, and one in modern gun. The possession limit is two days take, so you can legally harvest 6 does, in two days. Once they are cut up, packaged, and put in your freezer, they are considered groceries, so you can go out and get 6 more. Even with such a liberal bag limit, I won't take more than two deer, preferably does, because that is all my wife and I can eat. I will use my .50 or .54 for deer, and my .32 for squirrels and rabbits. Keep your powder dry.......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
On many, many occasions over the years I took 3 to 4 deer a day. I filled orders from non hunting friends for venison. I was all too happy to help out. :grin:

UNDERSTOOD.

One reason that I started shooting a XB was that I was stationed in VA for several years AND there is NO limit on the number of WT that can be taken per year in RICHMOND, ALEXANDRIA, NEWPORT NEWS and some other VA cities, as well as in "the more densely populated counties" of VA.
(Note: Chartered cities in VA are NOT part of any county.)

Some urban/suburban areas of VA, including the town where I last lived there, have >200 WT per SQUARE MILE & the population is GROWING RAPIDLY.
(Fwiw, I'm far from the only hunter that was ASKED by the "animal control department" if I "would accept a depredation permit", that allows hunting deer in suburban neighborhoods & in the city/county parks, 12 months a year.)

Note: Hunters for the Hungry has donated literally TONS of venison each year to city/county/private food banks in VA. - The county food bank, where I resided last, accepts "dropping off" of "field-dressed" WT and has volunteers who skin/dress/cut-up/package the meat for free distribution to seniors, disabled persons and to the poor.

Where

I will agree with you IF you look at your subject "VERY narrowly". - Otherwise, what caliber ML is "suitable for what game" and which caliber is NOT "suitable" seems to me to be ON topic & NOT "been high jacked".
(IF we "narrowly" look at your topic, I would expect nothing more "in comments by members" than a "string of numbers", as in 36, 40, 36, 36, 36, 40, ad nauseum.)

just my opinion, satx

satx78247 said:
I will agree with you IF you look at your subject "VERY narrowly". - Otherwise, what caliber ML is "suitable for what game" and which caliber is NOT "suitable" seems to me to be ON topic & NOT "been high jacked".

Perhaps, but my post was about trying to decide between the the .36 vs .40 cal rifles, not trying to see which one would be suitable for deer hunting. If my subject is "Very Narrow" as you suggest I am sorry.

Just seems like people where trying to help me decide, and when I finally did and shared what conclusion I had come to, the subject had gone off to what size deer and how many you could take where you live, with little interest to what I had posted. That would be off topic in my mind.

satx78247 said:
(IF we "narrowly" look at your topic, I would expect nothing more "in comments by members" than a "string of numbers", as in 36, 40, 36, 36, 36, 40, ad nauseum.)

just my opinion, satx

Really, have we been just talking about a "string of numbers" so far? I did not think so. I had thought we were having a good debate between the merits of both the .36 and the .40 cal. Because of this I made a decision and was thankful to those who contributed. No reason to get upset with me for mentioning that my post had gotten off topic.

Greebe

Wow! and thanks so much for clearing this up for me! I'm not sure, but from my perspective, it looks like heaven may have been relocated to your neck of the woods! cheers, tom

satx78247 said:
UNDERSTOOD.

One reason that I started shooting a XB was that I was stationed in VA for several years AND there is NO limit on the number of WT that can be taken per year in RICHMOND, ALEXANDRIA, NEWPORT NEWS and some other VA cities, as well as in "the more densely populated counties" of VA.
(Note: Chartered cities in VA are NOT part of any county.)

Some urban/suburban areas of VA, including the town where I last lived there, have >200 WT per SQUARE MILE & the population is GROWING RAPIDLY.
(Fwiw, I'm far from the only hunter that was ASKED by the "animal control department" if I "would accept a depredation permit", that allows hunting deer in suburban neighborhoods & in the city/county parks, 12 months a year.)

Note: Hunters for the Hungry has donated literally TONS of venison each year to city/county/private food banks in VA. - The county food bank, where I resided last, accepts "dropping off" of "field-dressed" WT and has volunteers who skin/dress/cut-up/package the meat for free distribution to seniors, disabled persons and to the poor.

Where

We, myself included, all have at one time or another jerked a thread off topic. It is NOT the fault of the original poster of the question. A little leeway is usually given as long as the posts stay courteous.

Its all good I had just wanted people to know what my decision was. I went and bought some .40 cal bullets and some more Goex FFFg today. All the parts minus the Chambers Golden Age Flintlock will be here Tuesday. Wahoo!!!

GoodCheer said:
You ask about the best twist for double ought and it would turn into deer hunting. :rotf:

Now what I really want to know is what twist would be best for deer hunting with bird shot? :blah:

Back