• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking at getting ahold of a squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d offer $650. Then I’d walk. Just me but the price is up to you. Don’t let your desire to own one put you in a bind. For $1200 I’d put a couple hundred dollars more with that price and get a SMR .32 from Kibler
I can second that. I have smr kibler in .32. I love it

I love the Kibler rifles in every way shape and form with one exception, they are just to long for my taste.

I've killed lots more squirrels with the .32 than with the .36. I grew to prefer the .36 mostly because of the rifle rather than the caliber. Both those rifles are flintlocks with 38" barrels, though I've had flinters with longer barrels than that. I must agree with the others that ordering a Kibler kit would be the wise decision. I don't have a Kibler but would get one if I still hunted.

I want to get a rifle for small game preferrably flintlock. That being said I see their are mainly two calibers people are using that being .32 and .36 caliber. Does anyone prefer one over the other ?
Local gunshop by me has a .32 Caliber Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Flintlock Rifle and a .36 caliber Green Mountain Flintlock barrel made for a Thompson Center Hawken (just the barrel and ramrod). I dont have a Thompson Center so I would have to get a stock, action and other various parts unless I just buy a flintlock Hawken Thompson Center rifle. Anyone got any opinions to share on which one would be better. The DGW TN rifle has a 41" barrel and the .36 is a 28" barrel.
i have a thompson center 36 cal never been fired, i had one long ago shooting squirrels and hogs,,sold it and wish i never did, came across one 2 years ago mint condition,,and never hunted with it,,lol

The Dixie is going to carry better in the woods but that price seems a little high unless there's a lot of accoutrements that goes with it!
Unless it is a consignment gun, the gun store probably has less than $400 in the Dixie rifle. Gun stores typically pay almost nothing for used black powder guns because they are a very small niche market and the bores were almost never cleaned properly, and have pitting.

Back