• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 crockett or .36 shenandoah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Shenandoah is much better made and much better finished.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Crockett as a fine shooting gun, but the fit and finish are pretty iffy compared to a Shenandoah. I've had lock issues with my Crockett, as have to two friends who also own them. Shoot great, but lots of shooting took a toll on the locks.

I really like the way the Shenandoah looks and handles. If you want a .36, that's the rifle to get.

Too bad they discontinued the Shenandoah .36.
Got mine 2nd hand from a scallywag who somehow forgot to mention that he'd ringed the barrel.
So now it's a .46, shoots revolver ball and handles better to boot!
:hatsoff:

Brownbear, I agree about the Crockett lock, mine is nothing close to the first such rifle I had years ago, sloppy describes it best. May get with L&R to see if they have a replacement. :hatsoff: BF

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the cub in 45. Its numbers are nearly identical to that of the TC Seneca although they look nothing alike.

My observations are as follows.

Short, light, great brush or timber gun.

Rifling is very shallow requiring a much tighter ball patch fit than I prefer. You are going to use a mallet to start the load.

Twist is 1-48 making heavier ball loads somewhat less accurate.

The lock is not the greatest, flint life is short.

Even in view of its shortcomings I still like the cub but must admit, I generally take either my TVM or Tip Curtis when I'm intent on making smoke.

I had a .50 Cub for years and can't count the deer I killed with it. High quality with so-so flint lock. I had both a percussion and flint lock and alternated hunting with them.

I have a .36 Shenandoah and love it. Shoots pretty near one hole groups at 30 yards from the bench. I had to install a rear peep site cause the eyes are not so young anymore. Loaded down the .36 is a great squirrel/rabbit gun. Loaded up, I use it for called in coyotes. Puts them down with authority.

What's always concerned me is the note by Midway and other sellers from time to time that lists the Shenandoah as "Due to safety considerations, this product is not eligible for return"...since this warning is on only Traditions products, makes you wonder.

Never held a traditions product and that warning is not a good selling point, never noticed. Might be why its discontinued.

Latest posts

Back