• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024 cap update, bad and the bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems this will be an on going problem for those who don't have access to the caps. Prices have doubled & this year maybe tripled. I have off set the pressure & stress of this by getting 2 Flintlocks. Stocking up on flints is what i am doing

It seems this will be an on going problem for those who don't have access to the caps. Prices have doubled & this year maybe tripled. I have off set the pressure & stress of this by getting 2 Flintlocks. Stocking up on flints is what i am doing
My rifle is flint. Percussion rifles do nothing for me.
But I love my percussion revolvers, not interested in flint pistols.
My therapist has a name for this anomaly.

My rifle is flint. Percussion rifles do nothing for me.
But I love my percussion revolvers, not interested in flint pistols.
My therapist has a name for this anomaly.
I have an 1860 New Army myself. I have not found #10 Rem. caps for it in 4 years. I have 70 caps left in my only tin. So it collects dust, yes i want to shoot it.

I have an 1860 New Army myself. I have not found #10 Rem. caps for it in 4 years. I have 70 caps left in my only tin. So it collects dust, yes i want to shoot it.
On the strong insistence of my local gunsmith, i changed the nips on all 3 revolvers to slixshots. Now i can fit Rem 10, 11, cci 11, rws1075 without any problem. They all work great. Best $30 improvement you can do.

Everybody really should just start making their own caps. It's just too easy and cheap not to do it. And I know some have an aversion to plastic, but damn do these work fantastic, self clearing and no cap jams which says alot for my 1849 cap and ball. I'm still awaiting Amazon to verify that they don't violate their hazardous goods policy 🙄
20240320_200721.png

Everybody really should just start making their own caps. It's just too easy and cheap not to do it. And I know some have an aversion to plastic, but damn do these work fantastic, self clearing and no cap jams which says alot for my 1849 cap and ball. I'm still awaiting Amazon to verify that they don't violate their hazardous goods policy 🙄View attachment 305913
what kind is that?

Beardedgunsmit is reminding us that there is a way forward by making your own. His way with the printer cups are working . For myself I use a die made by 22 reloader. I use either double wall pop cans or brass sheet for the cups. There are real primer mixes that work. I have made my own caps for years now. No failures to fire for the last two years. What's not to like? Cost is very low too.

Like Many of you, I'm old enough to have been through this manure TWICE before. Learned 2 rules: Keep more than plenty of all Possibles on hand. And I don't own a gun that I don't reload for.( I reload for more than 60 cals.} I don't reload for Rimfire. When people start in about the cost of Rimfires. I tell them they need to buy an AIR GUN. I can Hunt any small game and run My Trapline with my Air Rifle. And there has Never been any shortage of Air or Pellets. I get a few funny looks ,until I show them that you can knock over a empty 12 ga casing at 75 yds.& shoot though both sides or a bean can at 50 yds. I can Scratch my Shooting Itch Any time Very cheaply. I ain't talking about your Daisy Rough rider. my Rifle cost just under $200. Then when I pick up one of my Firearms, I don't go through as many Possibles, With better results. It's very Practical practice for My ML's as I don't shoot deer at more than 75 rds.....Be Safe>>>>>>>>Wally

A few weeks ago I finally got my FX Dreamline Classic Walnut stock air rifle in .22 cal (Swedish designed and made), it was expensive but achievable considering my habit of strict budgetiing and squirreling the required $ away for months to a year plus. IMO The Swedish FX series of air rifles are really worth the research, they offer various calibre swap and fit barrels so you only have to buy one air rifle yet can upgrade.

Attachments

• FX Dreamline Air rifle.jpg
    FX Dreamline Air rifle.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Beardedgunsmit is reminding us that there is a way forward by making your own. His way with the printer cups are working . For myself I use a die made by 22 reloader. I use either double wall pop cans or brass sheet for the cups. There are real primer mixes that work. I have made my own caps for years now. No failures to fire for the last two years. What's not to like? Cost is very low too.
What thickness of brass sheet are you using? I punched some out from an Arizona ice tea can. Tried single and double thick. Have not charged them yet.

I ordered 2 tins of the 250 count RWS plus and was able to use the free shipping Powder valley was offering with the free shipping code FBFS24. Past threads about those RWS caps people are saying they are 10 and 1/2 size. I know on my Crockett .32 #11's are a little loose. These may be a bit tighter on the nipple. Looking forward to giving them a try on the Crockett when they come in. I'll be using Pyrodex P in the crockett so those plus caps should easily ignite the Pyrodex.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Rusty, the factory nipples on the Crockett rifles are too small for #11 caps. I ordered a couple of replacement nipples from TOTW for about $6.00 each and #11’s fit good and tight.

To answer a question about the brass I use. I ordered .005 36 gauge soft brass . A 10"x30" sheet and it could make about 1200 cups. Works perfectly on my revolvers .No fragment and no cap jams after 100 shots. Nothing done to the revolvers. They just puff out a little and stay on the nipples upon firing. Could actually be reused if cleaned and resized. I get that many don't want to make their own. It works for me and I have been doing this for the last ten years.

Latest posts

Back