• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1095 steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
good morning, i want to face the frizzen on a old cva. what common item would be 1095 steel. i looked at the on line suppliers and they list huge amounts compared to what i need. (1 x 2 x .015). suggestions? thank you irishtoo (sawzall blade???)

Head to your hardware store and find a piece of tool steel or key stock. Made of high-carbon steel that will spark well.

Old Hickory kitchen knives. Find a thin one at a flea market or yard sale, grind it down, heat and harden. Good files are 1095, W-1 and maybe W-2. Any one of those will work. Brownell's has thin 1095 spring stock.

Old hand saws will work fine. Key stock is not usually tool steel it is soft. Chinese files are usually just case hardened mild steel. Old hickory knives are super good. Old push lawnmower blades and hay rake teeth. Go get old files at the second hand store. ETC. Any steel from 1075 up to .01 will work fine. No stainless. ant kind of old string.

after an internet search. i found that drywall/sheetrock blue steel tape knifes are 1095 steel. so i tore apart an old tape knife. on a grinder the metal threw sparks like a 4th of july sparkler, but soldered to the frizzen it did nothing. the steel mic'ed at.0175. i have fussed with this alot and have gotten no where. i do have some spring steel on order from dixie gun works and casehardening powder from brownells. that is the next step in this adventure. this is a skill i just want to master, just because. irishtoo

If you have a furnace/forge, or no someone who has you would be better off in my opinion pack hardening that frizzen. I have pack hardened several and have never had one wear through the case which can easily go .032"+ deep when properly done. The crutch is you need a steady heat source that can be sustained for a couple hours, a hand torch and Kasenite (or Cherry Red) won't do. The other thing is that 1095 is not exactly the easiest steel to heat treat correctly, 1075/80 is much more forgiving and on a real thin piece like you are working with you will loose heat very fast which (if you don't get it into the quench fast) will have a big impact on the hardness you can achieve. Adding to the difficulties is getting the thing soldered to your frizzen without getting it to hot and consequently tempering it too much.

Are you sure the problem is not a too weak main spring? Another way to go is to rivet the face on, then heat treat as if it were a solid unit.

it was sparking alright when i got it. still slams forward pretty good. work is now interfering with the hobbies so i have to stand down for several days. ill look for some 1070 steel. the spring steel from dixie didnt have numbers attached to it. thank you all irishtoo

tonight after work, i used the spring steel that came from dixie gun works. i cut out and ground a half sole for a old cva frizzen. it mic'ed at.041 after shaping. i turned off my shop lights heated to bright red with a mapp torch and dropped into heated olive oil. i let it cool in the oil and placed in the kitchen oven at 375degrees for one hour. i made my dinner at the same time. shut off the oven after 60minutes and let it cool in the oven. i silver soldered it to the frizzen, heating from the back. remounted it and placed a new tom fuller flint, leather wrapped in the cock. fireing it produced a rare spark. i changed to a small cut flint just to try and that sparked!. using 4f goex it fired 20 out of 20 times. (lock only, mounted in a vise). the lock just pounded and shattered the other flint in just a few hits. progress!! im learning!!. opinions? suggestions? irishtoo

i believe i did do that. 2nd line of my last post. heated with a mapp torch till bright red dropped in warm olive oil. then to the oven. isnt that the correct sequence? advise? irishtoo

Yes, you probably hardened it but how much is questionable.

Different hardenable steels have different needs when it comes to quenching them from a bright red heat.

The high carbon steels respond best to a water quench.

Many of the alloy steels will break if water quenched and need a oil quench.

A few rather exotic tool steels will harden just by cooling them off in air.

Some alloy steels are also quite fussy about the temperature they are at before they are quenched.

Chances are pretty good that your Dixie steel is a simple high carbon steel. If so, water would be the best thing to harden it fully.

This is not to say that an oil quench won't harden it some. Perhaps just right for a frizzen but chances are pretty good that it was hardened to a lower hardness (Rockwell) than a frizzen should be.

The baking of the steel after hardening is called tempering. It's purpose is to soften the hard steel a bit so it is not brittle.

Your 375 degree F bake should toughen it enough to remove its brittle nature but it was probably not needed.

When the steel got hot enough to silver solder (I am assuming this is a low temperature silver bearing solder and not the silver braze that needs a red heat to melt it?), it was hotter than your ovens temperature so it became the "tempering temperature".

Tell you what.

Before worrying too much about the hardness, do a poor mans hardeness test on it.

Using a good fine tooth flat file, try to file the edge of the new material.
If the file just skidds and leaves a bright area it is probably good enough to make sparks for a while with out wearing out.

If the file readily cuts into it, it is too soft.

Even if it is soft, it will produce sparks. It will also be easily gouged by the sharp flint and wear out rapidly.

Being as hard as it can be, the steel won't make any more sparks but it will not become gouged and it will last forever.
The trick is to get it hard enough to resist the gouging from the flint without being so brittle that it breaks.

ok, since im learning...........ill remove my current half sole and do a file check on new stuff. ill cut half soles from the same steel. one i'll try as is no treatment, 2nd i'll heat to red and quench in room temp water only, 3td i'll heat, quench in water and oven temper. solder all three the same using the one frizzen and see what happens. it will be a good learning experience. irishtoo.

First off I would buy a piece of 1/16" thick 1095 spring steel from one of the suppliers...I buy mine from TOW. This steel forms easily for a very close fit w/ the frizzen face. Best to leave the outside of the sole oversize....can be ground to contour later.

Harden w/ red/orange heat and dunk in oil. Remove scale from both top and bottom and check for "fit" w/ frizzen....might have sprung back.

Apply solder paste to both surfaces and heat from the back of the frizzen w/ a Mapp Gas torch until the solder melts and the sole turns a straw brown color. The solder paste needs to be low melt temp.....Fred

Plain water can cause the steel to crack from uneven cooling. Mix a brine solution using 1/2 gallon water and a 7/8oz of salt. A fourth of a common sized box of salt. Brine will also harden it even more than water.

Back