• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gonna Build a Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always make sure that the dowels are full length grain before purchasing, I have been happy with them.

JMinnerath said:
What ever they are, most of those hardware store dowels aren't very stout in lengths over about 6 inches :haha:

Years ago, most dowels were birch. Now they are anything hardwood that is cheap to fill the order.
I went into Lowes ? year ago, walked by the dowels & dang if they didn't have a bunch of them in oak. Had not seen a oak dowel ever, unless I made it. So I bought 4-5 to do things with in the furniture way.

But in 35 years of ML'ing, the best RR I have seen to date have come from Steve Bailey. (Ad in the Classifieds of Muzzleblasts) I have bought over a hundred of them from Steve, buy them 10 or more at a time, he is a great guy to deal with & Superb straight grained RR's. Not a single vender can match him in RR's as Steve hand picks all his wood & HE makes them......

Keith Lisle

just abut finished my tapered oak rod! leaving one end at half inch while bottom end will be 3/8" I will also ebonise it and tung oil it then bees wax!It is verry time consuming but its cool to be able to say you built everything on your gun!

I made me a doweler several years ago to make my own arrow shafts,I have since incorporated it to making ramrod dowels from straight grained hickory. I'll be turning some down later on this winter, if any one here has interest?

Most I send to a friend who takes them to Freindship, he tells me they don't last to long. :thumbsup:

Finaly finished my ramrod had to show it!

DSCN2546-1.jpg

Very nice!! Is that broad end a snug fit in your barrel? I mean with a patch.
I want to make one for my fowler project, and any hints would be welcome.

well its too snug for a 28ga but widest point is .57in and the point where the rod would actually would impact the ball would be the very tip. This is the first part of my snaphaunce project. This week I will begin the work on fabricating a buttplate, trigger guard, ramrodpipes, and underlugs.

Latest posts

Back