• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it rust?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxanism

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi so I won't go into the extreme details but I'll give the basics. On a side note i am new to muzzleloading and i dont have a lot of equipment just the bare essentials. I bought a rifle and when I unboxed the rifle to take a look and clean up anything I needed to clean, I wet a patch and went to clean and the end of the ramrod came off when i was pulling the ramrod out got stuck at the breach. I tried fishing it out of the gun in some way and put a little bit of oil then water down the barrel to make it easier to get out but that didn't help and I had to go to a gunsmith for help. They removed it and everything went well but of course my ramrod was broken and I didn't have anything else at that length and was waiting on the company to issue me a new one. So I left it alone all day yesterday, so its been sitting untouched since the gunsmith for 24 hours. Then I realized I still need to clean the barrel in some way to keep everything fine so i made a makeshift ramrod that was long enough to reach the bottom and here is what the patches look like. I used bore cleaner and easily went through around 50 or so patches. It does look like they are random and thats because it was. One patch would come up almost clean then I'd dry patch it and it'd be filthy and it would he sort of random. So I don't know what's going on. Did I rust the entire barrel? Could that much rust build up in one day? What should I do?

1700388966830.png
first session cleaning
1700389030337.png

second session

Attachments

• 20231119_014411.jpg
    20231119_014411.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231118_181004.jpg
    20231118_181004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1700388997460.png
    1700388997460.png
    814.5 KB · Views: 0
Since it's brand new it's probably a combination of hardened oil/grease left over from manufacturing and flash rust from the water left in the barrel.

I would wrap some 4-0 steel wool or scotch Brite pad on your cleaning rod and scrub the barrel using a light solvent ( the dreaded WD-40 would work well 😜) then clean normally. DO NOT try to use a bore brush! There are lots of threads here on mishaps with bore brushes.... Just saying...

WD 40 is good to use in the cleaning process in m/lers. It leaves a brown color in a clean bore too. That's OK. I keep detergents , soaps out of gun barrels. They contain corrosives . Warm tap water is a good disolver of black powder fouling. A warm water cleaned barrel will be a warm barrel and dries quickly , using a couple Wd 40 patches so the patch doesn't come off the r/r tip in the cleaning action.

of course my ramrod was broken
Might help to know the rifles maker and a couple of pictures of it and the broken ram rod.
Was it actually broken or did the brass tip just come off? If the tip came off and the wood rod is OK reinstall the tip using some epoxy glue and then pin the tip by drilling a hole with a bit slightly smaller than a finish nail then drive the nail in and cut it off and brad the cut end.
If your new rod comes in and the tip is not pinned do that to it also.

Brake cleaner is your friend on a new rifle. Spray in the barrel and start swabbing. Don’t get it on the wood! Might take a few patches, but it’ll cut the grease/oil faster than anything else.

Back