• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moderator Question thought on new board

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen people "re-enact" using:
wheel locks,
flint locks,
cap locks,
C & B revolvers,
single shot handguns (flint, cap etc),
match locks,
swords,
bows & cross bows,
even
BP cartridge handguns, shotties & rifles.

BUT I've yet to see someone re-enact with an in-line modern ML; perhaps our descendants will in the next few hundred years!
:imo: ANY BP cartridge firearm has more of a connection to MLing than an in-line ML.

ML = OLD.
BP Cartridge firearm = OLD.
In-line plastic stock & SS = NEW.

I have nothing against in-lines.

Jim.

I think the forum is excellent just the way it is. What you have to consider is how much real value would a new board had to the forum and would it be worth the time and effort to initiate and maintain it. This is a question best answered by the people who are doing the work.

Yes, I would benefit from the new board, and I would visit it often, but I wouldn't be the person who would have to put the time and effort into establishing and moderating the board.

I really like this forum the way it is now and will continue to enjoy it in the future whether or not there is a Pistol/Revolver forum.

The Tower of London has an inline made in the 15th century. The card implies it wasn't a one off, or even the oldest. :yakyak:

wheel locks,
flint locks,
cap locks,
C & B revolvers,
match locks,
swords,
bows & cross bows,
even

BUT I've yet to see someone re-enact with an in-line modern ML; perhaps our descendants will in the next few hundred years!
:imo: ANY BP cartridge firearm has more of a connection to MLing than an in-line ML.

ML = OLD.
BP Cartridge firearm = OLD.
In-line plastic stock & SS = NEW.

I have nothing against in-lines.

Jim.

I was wondering why you bothered to even bring up modern muzzleloading. It has nothing to do with this post.
In-Line ML rifles and designs are not new in the 20th century. Check your history.
:hmm:

I was wondering why you bothered to even bring up modern muzzleloading. It has nothing to do with this post.

I think I am responsible for the introduction of inlines to the thread. It was not an effort to stir up any dispute, but to make a point regarding C&B revolvers. I wasn't maligning inlines; either those that were genuinely historic items, or the modern versions.

The pepperbox is a muzzleloader and so are the swivel breeches, but if loading from the muzzle is the sole criteria that we use here inline pistols will fit in and an original Colt Patterson revolver won't make the cut. That don't seem right to me.

wheel locks,
flint locks,
cap locks,
C & B revolvers,
match locks,
swords,
bows & cross bows,
even

BUT I've yet to see someone re-enact with an in-line modern ML

The topic is not "Reenacting", it's "Muzzleloading".

ANY BP cartridge firearm has more of a connection to MLing than an in-line ML.

I may be missing your logic here. A Flintlock has much more in common with an inline weapon than it does with any cartridge gun.

On the other hand, it is ironic that the boards, by definition, include non traditional front loaders, while excluding traditional cap n ball revolvers and blackpowder cartridge weapons from the 19th century.

There are no percussion weapons "excluded" from this Forum. I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

"Cartridge" weapons are excluded, by definition.

This idea that C&B revolvers are in-lines pops up from time to time, and often stirs a lively debate. Lively but friendly since all here are Gentlemen of the First Order and can disagree in a spirited yet civil manner. Now at first glance it does appear to be true: C&B revolvers are in-lines. They do in fact have some characteristics of these oft maligned modern muzzleloaders. They do have their cap/powder/ball lined up all in a row like an in-line. That's it, though. No closed actions, no coil springs (the
Ruger being an exception and it isn't traditional anyway and
wasn't meant to be),no modern primers--no modern anything.
What they are is the finest development of the repeating
front-loading handgun that ever was. Mr. Colt's pistol embodies the best Victorian era thinking regarding handguns
and percussion ignition and Remington's take on the idea isn't half bad either. But they are efficient and elegant classics, as functional and potent as ever they were, not modern in-lines. Although the efficient layout of their ignition system/load may well have given some 20th century gun designer ideas for a muzzleloader that uses shotshell primers to light it off.

To Claude and others:

The Tower of London has an inline made in the 15th century.

Did it have a plastic stock? Probably NOT!
Did it have a stainless steel barrel? Probably NOT!
Did it have coil springs? Probably NOT!

I put it as clearly as I could, but I'll try again. There are TEN sections under the REENACTING heading, yet only SEVEN that deal specifically with MUZZLE LOADING (two of which are in-line), therefore I thought it was reasonable to conclude that re-enacting has a stronger following than muzzle loading on this forum. Following on from my conclusion, one can reasonably conclude that there is a major connection with BP cartridge firearms (pre smokeless powder) and muzzle loading firearms. For example the US civil war; from what I've read, ML's & BL's loaded with BP were used, however I do not recall reading that synthetic stock stainless steel barrel in line ML's were used.

The topic is not "Reenacting", it's "Muzzleloading".

No, the original topic is:

Would it be possible to have a separate board for Black Powder Revolver Posts.

I sincerely hope I have not offended any member/administrator/owner.

I understand that this is Claudes forum and he can do whatever he feels is appropriate. :master:

IMHO this Forum is the BEST on the net; I like poking fun at members here & there, and receiving the same from members; I like helping members where I can with my 2 cents.

Personally, I think this thread has run it's course, and we should start a new one.

How about Pedersoli quality? :crackup: :blah:

Jim.
:thumbsup:

I may be missing your logic here. A Flintlock has much more in common with an inline weapon than it does with any cartridge gun.

Claude,

I wrote "ANY BP cartridge firearm", NOT "any cartridge gun".

Jim.

Claude,

I wrote "ANY BP cartridge firearm", NOT "any cartridge gun".

Jim.

I know what you wrote. If you will reread my post, you will see that I wasn't quoting you, I was making a statement. :shake:

Percussion pistols are covered by the Percussion category.
We will not have a "Pistol Forum".

To Claude and others:

The Tower of London has an inline made in the 15th century.

Did it have a plastic stock? Probably NOT!
Did it have a stainless steel barrel? Probably NOT!
Did it have coil springs? Probably NOT!

As a matter of fact, it does have coil springs. You can read all about it in the 50th annrversery of Gun Digest. The book is otherwise labeled 1996. However, I have seen sidelocks with stainless steel barrels, and plastic stocks. :redthumb: :thumbsup:

If I may inject my opinion.If I need info on a perc.BP revolver or pistol,I know where to look, in the percussion forum.I would think if I wanted to find info on a flintlock pistol I would check out the flintlock forums.No problem.I see no need for a separate forum for revolvers/ pistols although having one would not take anything away from the website.Ahh,wait a minute.There needs to be segregation between the Traditionalist and the Moderns.My hat is off to you Claude!

Back