• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pipe barrel build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up the new Backwoodsman magazine and read the article on the 6 guage pipe gun. I'm very interested in doing something like this. How feasable is it to use a pipe as a barrel? Do I just use black gas pipe? I called Lowes (ok. I know I just admitted my newbness)They had no idea if their "black pipe" was seamless which is what the author calls for. I called some machine shops around here and they couldn't help threading the inside of the pipe or fabricating a breech plug. I want to build something like this but so far I have not been able to find a shop that can do what the article calls for.

Any thoughts to point me in the right direction?

Jerem0621

There have been several threads on several different forums about using pipe for barrels. The general consensus is that seamless pipe in this application is not a good idea, for several reasons.

IMHO, you would be MUCH better off buying a good quality barrel from a reputible barrel maker.

My fear is that someone will blow themselves, and probably a coupla bystanders, up trying to use black water pipe for a gun barrel because of reading that article.

I suspect that the machine shops won't touch anything like this because of liability issues, and rightfully so.

I dunno'...seems spooky to me :confused:
Making a barrel out of gas pipe sounds like something MacGyver would do.

Doesn't seem like the wall thickness at the breech area would be thick enough.

Maybe someone else will chime in but it sounds like the fixins for a grade A pipe bomb to me. I wouldn't risk it.

I don't think a custom barrel would be too much money. This guy that build the one in the article said he used :shocked2: 200 grain 2f :shocked2:. I know my New Englander only suggests about 120 grain or so. What would a .62 cal smoothbore barrel in the white cost. I have no idea what to expect. I would like to have a flintlock barrel so I could make a matchlock.

Jerem0621

They make what's called seamless tubing in all sorts of measurments. I've made barrels out of 1 1/2" OD & 1/2" ID. As far as using black pipe I can only say that someone has to live right behind the thing, hopefully not me.

Paul

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if seamless and black pipe were the same thing or not. I really have no idea about pipe. How did you get the barrel threaded for a breach plug. What did you make the breech out of?

Jeremiah

shortstring was that one barrel youre talkin about 1.5 outside, and .5 inside, did that work out ok for you? I read the same article and am interested in building a matchlock but would like to keep my eyes and appendages.

Writers for that magazine are drop outs from society, and can hardly be depended upon as authorities on much of anything. Just because that joker hasnt blown his face and fingers off yet, doesnt mean that it isnt going to happen if he keeps shooting that pipe bomb.

Check out Track of the Wolf for barrels and costs. Contact the barrel makers if you want something special. Get the info directly from the makers.

Next time ya talk to him, his name will probably be Stub.

That article was interesting. I did wince though at the thought of using a pipe for the barrel. That "barrel" he had looked WAY too thin. I think I would rather have someone machine one for me out of round bar stock.

The pipe used in the article is schedule 80. What you would get at the average harware place or Home Depot etc. would be schedule 40 pipe, a lighter weight material.

You can get some awfully tough tubing of various sorts from oilfield supply houses.

Here's a link to a table that will give you the different measurements:
[url] http://www.snapfour.com/pdf/Table_38-39.pdf[/url].

Last edited by a moderator:
.179 wall thickness at the breech :shocked2: And pipe made from reclaimed unknown material :shocked2:
No thank you.

You could go with some kind of DOM tubing. This tough stuff but pricey. DOM stands for Drawn Over Mandrel. I would use a real barrel. Pipe is what they make pipe bombs out of.

As far as using seamless tubing to make barrels goes. I will say that I've done it but will probably not make any more. The stuff I got was 1025 steel which is nasty to ream & rifle to say the least. The hole may or may not be straight so you got to address that problem. The DOM tubing which does have a seam has a habit of the seam showing up again when you ream it.

As far as how you thread a breech, just stick it in a lathe & thread it. Keep in mind that 16 threads per inch will consume .090" of the black pipe wall that is around .175 thick to begin with. Now you're down under a .100 holding the a$$ end of that bomb under your nose. That's about 25 sheets of paper, give or take a few.

Paul

I know most people like to do things as cheap, or should I say inexpensive as possible. But when it comes to gun barrels, I would buy a gun barrel. I think track has some for as low as 170.00 for a smoothbore, depends on what you want. 170.00 is pretty cheap for a finger, hand, eye,or whatever else. flinch

before you embark on building this post- apocolyptic gadget, please contact the offices of a good neuro surgeon, an orthopedist, and an EENT. a recontsructive surgeon is optional, but i certianly would add it to the mix. if their charges don't scare you into common sense, just call the local ER and ask what it might cost to be taken from the local range (or your house) by ambulance, let into the front door of the ER, and have one set of cranial X-Rays shot and read by the radiologist on call.

makes a $170 smoothbore barrel from Track seem not so pricey, doesn't it?

i'm not trying to make you feel dumb- you were, after all, smart enough to ask the question which is more that could be said for many, but now that you have an answer, please don't build something that is inheirantly dangerous!

I read that article too. Most of us want to die of old age after a long and productive life. This cat wants to die with iron particles imbedded into his skull. He's not only using unknown quality material for the barrel but he is loading 200 grains of powder! I sweat over every barrel that I make to make sure that it is safe and well made. Then I see some guy with a goofy-go-lucky attitude showing the public how to make a barreel out of gas pipe. To be honest, this really ticks me off. I know that somebody will think this is a good idea and try it with a disasterous result. ..hey, hold my beer and watch this...

That article should have never seen ink. :cursing:

I should think the publisher should have some responsibility should one of these pipe bombs explode. Looks like a lawsuit in the making and a bit of fuel for the banners of firearms.

Ronnie

Thanks everyone. I really enjoyed reading the responses. The author lost credibility with me almost immediately when he said he used 200 grain ffg. But I work in an office and have no idea about metallurgy or what is strong enough and I thought maybe he knew something I didn't. Maybe there was some secret super strong aloy in that kind of a pipe that could stand the pressure. But hey, isn't that what this site is for, to ask questions and be able to heed the advice of those more experienced that I. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jerem

Latest posts

Back