• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

spit patchs vs greased

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been researching here while I wait to get my rifle. I have read that some folks recommend using 'spit patches' for target shooting and for swabbing between shots. They then use a greased (Mink oil etc) patch for hunting when the patch will contact the charge for an extended period. That sounds all fine, but is there a difference between the two as far as performance? Spit vs greased patch? I have learned on this forum that consistency is very important and switching something like that seems like it could make a difference. Any thoughts? I'd like to practice for hunting and use the system that I will use to hunt when I practice. But I am new to this so open for suggestions from the more experienced shooters...
Also, (if I can sneak another question in here:), I have never yet shot flintlocks, as I begin to shoot I don't want to develop any bad habits. I am willing to use shooting drills and techniques to learn the right way first. Are there 'dry fire' type drills that would help or other things I can do to develop good shooting techniques for a flintlock...without so much risk of developing flinch or other bad habits? Is firing a small charge in the pan without the main load a good way to get used to the gun before I start loading a main charge? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Daniel

For range shooting and woodswalks I use spit patches. For hunting I use grease lube. They perform the same for me in my guns.
Bottom line, you won't know for sure until you try both in your gun.

You can use a wooden "flint" for dry fire practice to get used to the feel of your lock going off. A little bit of pan poofing won't hurt either other than a little bit of frizzen wear. Make sure you are absolutely SURE the rifle isn't loaded before firing a pan of powder or even just checking for spark. All it takes is one spark in the right spot to touch off a load and it can happen even with no prime.

As Jethro says - your rifle is the only one that can tell you whether they will shoot differently.

They do in mine - so I only use the spit patch to clean every fifth shot or so.

Dry fire drills? You could have someone else prime (or not) and hand you the rifle. But that only shows if you have a flinch.

Shorter hat brims. Glasses (or shooting glasses) reduce the heat back in the eyes. Relax your neck muscles. You can practice outdoors with a primed but unloaded firearm to get used to the "poof". You shouldn't fire a flintlock without the frizzen down.

You CAN use a wood "flint" as a practice dummy to get used to the trigger and "klack".

I'm just like the other two guys,,,,
Will just add that spit tends to clean better than lube, whereas lube can contribute to fouling.
But, lube tends not to freeze in cold weather or dry out like spit.
Just remember that you're always carrying a supply of spit with you if you need it. :grin:

When I use lube I use a mixture of beeswax and olive oil (no mink are harmed ) and it shoots the same as spit.

What Jethro said.

If, when you get your rifle, you find that the flash is unnerving, put on your safety glasses, prime the pan of your UNLOADED rifle, take aim, and "fire", making sure that you concentrate on following through on your sight picture. Do this repeatedly.

When you are convinced that the flash will not blind you, or engulf your head in flames, :shocked2: :grin: and you are able to follow through on your sight picture...problem solved.

Enjoy!

Good advice from all of you! So sounds like maybe i'll stick with lubed patches for practice and hunting to make sure they shoot the same, and then use spit patches to swab out on occasion.

I like the wood flint dry fire idea and firing the pan without a load in barrel to get used to the flash and avoid developing a flinch.

Thanks!

I have three rifles, one .40, and two 50's. Amazingly all three are partial to either spit or grease patch with no discernible difference in accuracy. You'll just have to try it and see if it will work both ways in your particular rifle(s).

Keep in mind also that using a spit patch in freezing weather can cause the patch to freeze to the steel of the bore thereby turning itself into a bore obstruction and potentially causing a very dangerous situation due to overly high pressure.

I do not use spit for cleaning or on a patch material for a round ball. If I did not have access to other stuff of coarse I would.

I use equal parts of murphy's oil soap, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide for my cleaning and patch lube. Been doing that for close to 30 years. My rifles are clean and my shots are even good on occasion.

Fleener

Spit versus grease has been worked over more than Donald Trumps hair. Lots to read if you go back through the posts here at the site.

Come to think of it, does The Donald use grease or spit on his hair? :wink:

If using spit in the field and it dried would it not still perform well enough for that single shot? Eating smoked oysters while creating the spit would serve to make a "dry patch" :rotf:

As for freezing and becoming an obstruction I dont think thats a problem as there will be some serious instant heat and pressure to get the "ball rolling" :hmm:

azmntman said:
As for freezing and becoming an obstruction I dont think thats a problem as there will be some serious instant heat and pressure to get the "ball rolling"

I would agree, but be careful using spit in really cold weather to swab the bore. When I squirrel hunt I like to swab after about five shots and usually just put a cleaning patch in my hand, scoop up a little snow, close my hand and let the snow melt to wet the patch. One time when it was around zero I did that and the patch froze to the barrel about 1/2 way on the down stroke! Fortunately that rod had threads on both ends and I had a screw-on T-handle and was able to get it out, but it almost ended the hunt right there! :grin: Other lubes freeze too. Hoppes is a popular patch and cleaning lube that will freeze.

I like to use the same components whether target shooting or hunting. Everything I do is eventually for hunting, so I don't want any changes. I use greased patches (mink oil in some guns, prelubed Oxyoke patches in others)all the time. Patch lube doesn't cost much and I never could spit worth a darn! :wink:

fleener said:
I do not use spit for cleaning or on a patch material for a round ball. If I did not have access to other stuff of coarse I would.

I use equal parts of murphy's oil soap, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide for my cleaning and patch lube. Been doing that for close to 30 years. My rifles are clean and my shots are even good on occasion.

Fleener
Me too!!

When I'm participating in a blanket shoot or woods walk, I always have my strip of patch material in my mouth soaking up the spit for the next shot. When I'm ready to load, cut at the muzzle and the process starts over. Spits free, plentiful and cleans up fouling between shots rather well.

I do use wood flint blanks for practice, great and again cheap, free and easy with no wear. :thumbsup:

Back