• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My bear grease is lazy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could still buy Dixie GW Old Zip patch grease. It was sheep fat rendered , and shot best I've ever had. It was ok to use in winter hunting. I ruined some rendered liquid bear fat tying to make it a little thicker. Recipe said to thicken the liquid bear fat w/ some real bee's wax. Though I followed the instructions , I added too much bee's wax , causing the bear fat to be too thick.Could just barely lube patches in summer. Cool weather , the lube was too thick.

The one & only time I used bear grease as a patch lube, a friend of mine had some, he said was thinned with a little sweet oil (Olive oil) and it shot pretty good for me. That was with my J Withers mule ear over under 40 cal rifled upper and .600 under smooth bore He passed away about ten years ago.
withers barrel.jpg

withers2.jpg

Your rifle is 0bviously allergic to bear grease. Just be glad it didn't get a case of hives. My local Asian restauranr raves about duck fat and while i don't know if they use it for ML's you might want to give it a try.

I have some that I got from @deerstalkert. Think it’s a 50/50 beeswax mix. Works great.
50/50 is what i usually blend. it seems to be workable in warm temps and down to about freezing.
below freezing i use the rendered fat straight.
i must be missing something but i have never considered lube as a factor in accuracy. my criteria is keeping fouling soft for ease in repeated shots.
maybe that is why i am a terrible shot?:D

I can't say I've noticed much of any difference in POI or accuracy with any lube -- spit, soapy water, bear grease/beeswax, simple green, bore butter... Doesn't seem to matter on the range but some work better than others at the loading or cleaning procedures. Bear grease/beeswax is my preferred lube for hunting. It resists smoldering better than a dry or oiled patch. Loading that second shot is a little stiff. A third shot is hard without swabbing. For range work, I much prefer soapy water. Goes down slick as snot for just about every shot & wipes the bore on the way. I just don't want that sitting on the powder charge for multiple days in variable weather.

I have spent years testing lubes of all kinds for BP and modern revolvers and rifles. I found a lube change can turn a shotgun pattern into one hole groups. Yes I tried SPG and the stuff sucked, fouling was bad and I could not give away what was left at a shoot. I thought I could sell it but even a free sign was ignored.

Two things come to mind. One, it's illegal to sell bear parts taken in Alaska except for the hide and skull after they have been sealed (tagged) so better not sell it, especially on the internet.
Two, how come no one has mentioned using it for shoe grease or hair oil?

Back