• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second Buffalo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben K

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got this youngster the other week. CVA .54" Mountain Rifle, patched roundball - pure lead this time.

Should've let him grow another year....

Totally joking.

Absolutely awesome for you man!

Hi Ben,

gratulation to Down Under for this nice Buff

may you tell us load, distance and if you got a pass through shot....

thx for sharing

Klaus :hatsoff:

Cheers, lads. 100 grains of Alliant Black MZ (can't get the real stuff where I am). Certainly no pass-through shots. Got to about forty-five metres, I think, and waited for him to present leg-forward. Hit a little high, but still really put the hurt on him, and he didn't go very far at all. Some follow-up shooting, and he was down and dead. One insurance shot was an emphatic spine shot (he was already down, and really snapped around); the final, unnecessary, shot was through the top of his head and into his brain.

Best answer I ever saw to the people who ask if their .54 with a mere round ball is adequate for deer or elk. :haha:

The young ones are best, however we also eat the old ones. The secret is to let the meat rest for some time, and then use a slow cooker. If frying, don't over-cook it. We get really good food from buffalo.

THANKS.

I didn't know if the feral buss were like beef or not & thought I'd better ask.
(My experience in SE Asia was that NOBODY ate buffs, as they were too valuable & therefore easy to sell as breeding stock, draft animals for agriculture & fertilizer for rice paddies, etc..)

Did the Asian buffs get imported to AUS as "game animals", as our Russian Boar were >100 years ago OR were they brought in for draft animals OR for some other reason?

yours, satx

Hey, g'day! The British brought a few over for their fort in 1825 or so. They had them for meat and for plowing, etc. They had to abandon their fort - just too hard. So they let the small herd go into the bush, where they thrived.

Back