• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Caps is there a shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$2.25?? ? WOW nice work. I gave up $8.00 (I'm ok with $8)
100 will last me a bit.

I shoot a lot like to buy a 1,000 caps at a time. When BPS only has 1,000 i will only buy 500 and leave some for others to buy. But its been a long time since they have had any caps. I have been buying them on line and paying Hazmat.

If there is a Gander Mountain near you. I don't know if they still do, but if you go to the gun counter guys they can check other stores to see if there is a item available that they don't have and order it in for you. I did this some years ago when they had some round balls really cheap and the store I go to didn't have .530 balls I was looking for. The item wasn't a sale item so they could get them from another store. DANNY

Zonie said:
I read posts about someone finding a supply of caps on a stores shelf and buying everything in sight.

I wonder if this has anything to do with all of the stores being out of caps when other people go in to buy some? :hmm:

Jim,
I read a resent article in one of the gun
mags I receive that folks are buying up ammo
as an investment. This was especially true with
.223(5.56mm)and .22s.The article not only
reported on the issue but suggested it as a very
wise investment.
I can see that if this is taking place,the
companies such as CCI,Remington etc would put
percussion caps on the back burner. :hmm:

snake-eyes

Gemmer said:
If it were me, I would cancel my subscription! I think this is irresponsible and makes the shortage worse.

Gemmer,
Maybe what I said was misleading.....The article did not suggest clearing shelves in stores
of their ammo supply....on the contrary there
advise was to invest in the companies that produce the ammo and such that is on short demand.Now if they are holding back on production I see that as irresponsible.But who would control such irresponsibility???? No thank you,he won't do.
I know I am very close to being :eek:ff and I appologize :redface:

snake-eyes

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned, I think, is that most of the companies who manufacture powder and caps and cased ammo are tied up with government contracts for munitions for the never-ending fracas in Afghanistan...this applies to European makers as well. Not all shortages are a result of hoarding, etc.

recently saw an interview with (if my failing memory serves) the CEO of Hornady. he adamantly denied holding back, and said that he was running all of his manufacturing facilities at full capacity, just trying to keep up with the demand.

this makes sense: if he were not running full out, he would not be maximizing profit, and shareholders would be calling for his removal.

just a thought...

Wes/Tex said:
most of the companies,,,, are tied up with government contracts for munitions
Yes that's true to a point, but most of the big guys only have 10-15% of their business tied up with Gov contracts,,
saying the shortage is because of the government is rapidly becoming a 21st century myth.

I'll try to find the Hornady Pres statement;

I was in a ma-pa type store today looking for a part for an old tractor. They had a bunch of no 11 caps but they were 9.50 a tin. Oh well. :( Larry

Like you, I have not been able to find #10 caps anywhere. I don't know why other than to say the gougers and hoarders are getting there before us just as they are doing with .22 rf ammo. I have chosen to replace my revolver nipples with #11 nipples from Track of The Wolf. Since the Italian imports do not all have the same thread size, you will have to give TOW a call and discuss your particular revolver with them. They will likely be able to tell you which nipples you will need. If not, you may have to do like I did on a previous revolver that I owned and send them one of the nipples from your revolver for them to match up. Then you will be able to use #11 caps on your revolver. While #11 caps are in short supply, you can find them far more easily than the #10 caps.

The shortage is of percussion caps and .22 shells is of course symptomatic of the fact that the powers that be hate 'lead in the environment'. If they can disrupt the sale of the afore mentioned items, then those guns which use only lead ammo are emasculated; ergo no lead in the environment from that source, and they get to harass the gun owners at the same time. Wow what a deal. It's a short walk, really. Tree.

I just received 1000 musket caps yesterday (Monday)from these folks. First order from them, quick shipping and very well packed. Also threw in a 250 page catalog.
http://www.thegunworks.com

Not as cheap as China Mart, and you have to pay Haz Mat, but a check on their website this morning seems to show they have Muskket/10/11 in stock.

And I'm primarily a rock locker :thumbsup:

FWIW

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from visiting my local gun store and sitting on their counter was (were?) 2 cases of 5000ct CCI no. 11s, the first ones they've received in about 3 months she said. Oh, well, I only shoot flintlocks so I had to leave them for ya'll caplock guys.

Maybe, but its a little pricey for me at $7.99 a 100ct. But I get 50+ shots per flint (1.60 for English to $2.00 for French Amber). Ya'll caplock guys just need to make the switch to flintlock :hmm: :grin: .

Mountainy Man said:
I just received 1000 musket caps yesterday (Monday)from these folks. First order from them, quick shipping and very well packed. Also threw in a 250 page catalog.
http://www.thegunworks.com

Not as cheap as China Mart, and you have to pay Haz Mat, but a check on their website this morning seems to show they have Muskket/10/11 in stock.

And I'm primarily a rock locker :thumbsup:

FWIW

I talked to them recently, they have the musket caps but they said they haven't gotten any CCI #11 caps in over a year. They just haven't removed it from their website. They might have RWS caps. I didn't ask about #10s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumpstart,
With Haz-Mat that will make the RWS
around $12.30 per/100. :surrender:

snake-eyes

Back