• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First PRB deer! (graphic)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Some years back, I found a .45 CVA "Frontier" rifle at a local pawnshop for $60. It was a kit-gun that the previous owner had never finished.

I added a few missing parts, some 'medicine' tacks and refinished the stock.

I had taken deer in the past with my other .45s, but with Maxi's and saboted rounds only.

I worked-up a decent PRB load for the 'Frontier' rifle: 59 gns of FFF 777 under a .445 roundball with a .015 Oxyoke patch... clocked abt 1800 fps and a 40 yd zero put me just-low at 100. Accuracy seemed up-to-the-mark.

I figured it was abt a 50 yd set-up. Those .45 roundballs run kinda' light.

Friday morning, I'd quit the blind and started walking back home. I came up on this cull-buck at abt 40 yds. (I'd caught some game-cam pictures of him before and made up my mind that he didn't need to be breeding our does)

The shot looked good, he swapped-ends and ran away, flag down. Plenty of blood where he'd stood, more on the ground along the way, he'd ran abt 70 yds before he piled-up.

First RB deer for me and a clean kill. If you'd been there, you would been an astonished witness to my rendition of the "Happy Pilgrim" dance!

Not much to look at, weighed 90 lbs on the game scale, but with crab-claw horns like these, I figured he needed to be taken out:
RBDeer1.jpg

He was quartered toward me at the shot, and it looked as though the ball didn't exit.

The RB had broken the shoulder going in, got at least one lung, knocked a chunk out of the heart, slipped between the ribs and sat under the hide on the exit side. Penetration totalled abt 12".

When I saw that bone had been hit, I figured that the ball would have just blown to pieces. Was pleasantly surprised to see that the ball had remained reasonably intact, flattened out to abt .75, and had lost less than a grain in weight (weighed 133 gns leaving the muzzle, weighed just over 132 after recovery).

Not bad performance from an 'obsolete' projectile!
RBDeer3.jpg

Now it's time to go out after a trophy, so far, so good!

(Signing off with a Happy Pilgrim Dance)

Congrats on a great hunt, and I hope you will stick with the traditional ways, the PRB will do the job everytime you do yours, again nice day in the field and well done.

Amazing performance of the round ball and great photos--thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the harvest :thumbsup:

Dave

Congrats on the PRB kill. :applause:

I don't mean to steal your thunder here,and I hope you don't take it that way,but I'd just like to point out that I believe your justification in taking out this "cull buck" may be based on outdated and flawed reasoning?

Skillet said:
I came up on this cull-buck at abt 40 yds. (I'd caught some game-cam pictures of him before and made up my mind that he didn't need to be breeding our does).......
Not much to look at, weighed 90 lbs on the game scale, but with crab-claw horns like these, I figured he needed to be taken out:

Recent studies are showing that spike and forkhorn yearlings can and do "catch-up" to their branch antlered counterparts of the same year class at 2.5 and 3.5 years of age,and in many cases even exceed the antler growth of these "superior" yearlings.Most likely he was simply born later in the summer of '09 than a branched yearling of the same year,indicating a skewed doe:buck ratio.There's no way of knowing a buck's antler potential at that young of an age.He may very well be carrying "goliath-like" genes,he just got off to a late start.Game managers in the know are now reccomending that no young bucks be culled until at least 2.5 or preferably 3.5 years of age....give'em a chance to show their stuff. :wink:

jest sayin'?

Congrats again though on the RB success. :thumbsup:

Back