• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Storing lead conical and round bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I thought that I would share a tip on how I store my lead conical and round bullets to keep them from developing lead oxide. I store my different sized bullets in cheap small plastic containers with a few oxygen absorber packets and a plastic sandwich bag to seal the container lid. Below is a photo of some of my bullets that have been stored over a couple years that are just as shiny as when I first cast them.

1586629424452.png

Hi guys,
I thought that I would share a tip on how I store my lead conical and round bullets to keep them from developing lead oxide. I store my different sized bullets in cheap small plastic containers with a few oxygen absorber packets and a plastic sandwich bag to seal the container lid. Below is a photo of some of my bullets that have been stored over a couple years that are just as shiny as when I first cast them.

View attachment 28373

If you had a problem with your balls turning white, oxygen is not the problem. Acid and carbon dioxide is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_lead

Roll them in a veg or olive oil or canola oil ect oil oily rag then in storage. Natural and non toxic.

Carbon 6 made a good point. It's not that my bullets are turning white due to lead oxide corrosion from acid or carbon dioxide. What I should have said is "to help keep your bullets shiny and not tarnish to a dull gray over time".

Carbon 6 made a good point. It's not that my bullets are turning white due to lead oxide corrosion from acid or carbon dioxide. What I should have said is "to help keep your bullets shiny and not tarnish to a dull gray over time".

Even if they turn dull or grey, I don't think oxygen is the root cause.
Touching them might have more to do with it.

Eventually I expect balls to lose their shininess time = exposure to whatever.
I just uncovered some balls laying on my workbench in the shed (outside) that were cast a year and a half ago. They looked fresh made and were only protected by a cloth towel.

Heck, 30 minutes after casting my stuff goes blue/purple, some change within minutes.

I would wonder what you are casting, (alloy composition) makes me wonder if there isn't a more reactive metal in the mix..

Last edited:
Electric Lee Pro something 20 pound, only lead that has gone in the pot is what I posted above, cast .535 RB and 415 grain .540 Minie at 720 degs, I use a dipper and not the valve at the bottom of pot. After casting I put a little sawdust and beeswax on top of lead in the pot (don't know why, a guy I used to shoot with did it to his).

I've shot the minie's in a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken .54 with 11 thou rifling and 1 in 65 twist and they will shoot touching hole groups at 100 yds. I have recovered ball and minie and put back in the pot (from this same batch of lead), I use a bullet proof vest on the berm behind the target to capture them with no dirt.

Last edited:
Electric Lee Pro something 20 pound, only lead that has gone in the pot is what I posted above, cast .535 RB and 415 grain .540 Minie at 720 degs, I use a dipper and not the valve at the bottom of pot. After casting I put a little sawdust and beeswax on top of lead in the pot (don't know why, a guy I used to shoot with did it to his).

I don't use a dipper and I don't use saw dust. Maybe that has something to do with it. :dunno:

Latest posts

Back