• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawkin lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRum

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My lefthand cva hawkin lock is releasing out of full cock should I get a new tumbler and sear or a new lock its not safe the way it is now?

A couple of questions need to be asked.

1. Does the lock function normally when removed from the gun?

2. With the lock removed, do the triggers work as expected?

3. Has the trigger plate moved further into the trigger inlet?

If the lock works when removed from the gun, the problem is with the triggers.

In most cases like this my first look is at the trigger. Sometimes the stock expands or contracts or the trigger plate is over tightened when reinstalled and the plate is now deeper in the trigger plate mortise.

First step at a fix is to make a shim for the trigger plate. This will lower the trip lever so it is not pushing the sear out of the full cock notch.

Remember, do not over tighten the lock plate screws or the screws holding the trigger plate in the stock.

I hope you have a simple fix.

No the lock doesnot work properly out the stock when you cock it fully the sear slips right out of the tumbler

Okay, lets take a look at the lock. Specifically we are going to look at the tumbler and the nose of the sear. What does the engagement of the sear nose and the full cock notch look like.

The nose of the sear should be sharp and fit perfectly in the notch in the tumbler. If the sear is sharp, the notch needs to be full across the tumbler with no chips out of the edge. Perhaps the tumbler is not properly hardened and the notch is too worn to fully function. Repair of the tumbler to cut a new notch and reshape the full cock notch is the job for a black powder gunsmith. You can get a new tumbler and sear from traditions. the parts will likely have to be polished to fit perfectly and hardened to ensure that the lock functions for a long time.

Latest posts

Back