• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't separate flintlock cock and tumbler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a new Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol. The trigger pull is very heavy (usually off the scale of my Lyman electronic gauge). I decided I would start with stoning the sear nose and tumbler notch. I followed Bob McBride's instructions on how to disassemble the lock (), but I can't separate the cock from the tumbler. I've put the lock across an open vise, as Bob showed, and whacked the tumbler square shank using both a brass and steel punch. I put Kroil on it and let it sit overnight and then hit it hard enough to bend the lock plate slightly, but the shank doesn't budge. I've considered heating the cock with a butane torch, but I'm concerned that that will damage the case coloring. I suppose some kind of a press is the right tool for the job, but I don't have one. Any suggestions?

You can apply enough heat to loosen it up without affecting the temper or color. Just keep moving the torch around the cock, if you start to see red you have heated too much. You just need to heat it enough so it expands slightly. Have your punch and hammer at the ready.

i have used the wifes hair dryer to heat fragile colored parts.
assuming you have all the other internals removed you can use a large socket to bridge around the tumbler. gives better support than across the open jaws of the vise.
if you can, find a screw that fits the axle threads and can be sacrificed . start with it just loose and drive it until it is tight against the cock. loosen and repeat until it is free.
don't ask why i suggest the screw that can be sacrificed.:(

assuming you have all the other internals removed you can use a large socket to bridge around the tumbler.
In the past I used parallel bars. On the last two locks I used a socket and a larger hammer. I think the socket as a backer works much better. Once I got the cock off I cleaned the cutout with some small files and now they come off much easier.

I made one of these, I had to mark what it was because I would throw it away if the hole wasn't up thinking it was one of dozens of pieces of scrap wood that accumulate on my work bench.

cock remover 001.JPG

My thanks to everyone who responded. As suggested, heating the cock with a butane torch got the pieces separated without harming the case color. The suggestion to use a large socket around the tumbler to support the lock also helped a lot. I tried stoning the sear nose and tumbler notch, but this was not very effective because the edge of my stone was not sharp enough to get into the notch. I think the sear spring was the real problem. I filed it a bit and squeezed it with pliers to lighten it. The trigger went from 12+ pounds to about 7. That good enough for me.

I've used the boiling method for lots of stuck parts before, like stuck butterfly valves on a carburetor. Some times it has to go a few hours, but it works. No worries with the temper either. And then a dose of penetrating oil, followed by a big hammer.

Back