• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions/CVA locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHand

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have been told that Traditions and CVA locks are interchangeable. Is this correct?
Specifically flintlocks.

Thanks
Ironhand

Deerstalker is correct in saying yes, no , and maybe. The two main differences to look for is the lock screw hole placement, mainly the rear hole; and the profile of the back of the lock plate. Some are rounded and some come to a slight point.

s-l1600.jpg

th

Kyron4 nailed it.
His top pic is an early CVA possibly a mountain rifle.
the lower is a later Hawken or one of the models i am not familiar with.
here are pictures of the bits and pieces i have in my whatzit drawer.
no idea where i got them and no idea what i will do with them 🤣
that mountain rifle has been around since the early eighties.

Attachments

• 20240126_221131.jpg
    20240126_221131.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240126_221112.jpg
    20240126_221112.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240126_221100.jpg
    20240126_221100.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240126_221240.jpg
    20240126_221240.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
My CVA lock has a bare plate. No engraving.
I have checked Deer Creek. They want $95 for a lock.
Hoping to find a used one cheaper.

Ironhand

got a picture of that lock, one with dimensions would be nice. i have some percussion locks and some are close to the plates i showed you. i don't build cap locks so they just sit in a drawer. might have a good lock that would work for you.
one way to match up the plate is to photo copy it with the hammer removed and send the picture to anyone that might have one to match.

If the inlet was originally for one of the locks without a bridle, might have to do some work to get a bridled one in?

Back