• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave Restoration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It’s a stretch to put this in the “build” section, but it’s a bit of an odd ball project anyway. The last couple years as I have been more intently learning about muzzleloaders, I have picked up a few projects cheap at auctions. I figure working on them is a good introduction to how things work together and produces less expensive errors before building one.

For this one I started with a Zouave .58 that was in fairly rough shape. I sent the barrel off to Mr. Hoyt and had it reamed out to a .62 smoothbore. From there, I stripped and refinished the stock, re-blued the barrel and misc parts and blackened the brass before reassembling. I didn’t attempt for any historical accuracy here (as I understand it, the Zouave rifles are somewhat dubious in that regard anyway). I did end up with something that is pleasing to my eye and I think will be fun to use. I never seem to think to get “before” pictures, but here are a couple poor quality shots from the auction to give you an idea and one of the completed rifle.

Attachments

• F9FA1398-DEA7-4654-BB9E-19082131EDCA.jpeg
    F9FA1398-DEA7-4654-BB9E-19082131EDCA.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 43
  • BAC97A91-4EF3-48BA-BF80-9748A23B73B5.jpeg
    BAC97A91-4EF3-48BA-BF80-9748A23B73B5.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 9274A799-8199-4A17-A347-D5C06E93BE13.jpeg
    9274A799-8199-4A17-A347-D5C06E93BE13.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 56
I have a Zouave that was left for years without cleaning after being used with pyrodex.
I sent my barrel to mr. Hoyt and had it bored to 62. cal also. I then knocked off the bayonet lug and browned the barrel. My grandson and I have a ball with it. You will love it.

That’s good to hear! Once the weather gives me an option that isn’t rain/mud or snow and frostbite I’m looking forward to trying it out!

Back