• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave ammo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twist probably best for PRB or mini.
The bore on mine is slightly under. It shoots a .562 and .020 really good. Have to use a .575 mini.

I have a chopped Replica 1863 Remington contract rifle. Good hunting accuracy with 80 grains of fffg, a 440 grain REAL, (which actually casts out at 456) and a wonder wad under the bullet. I have recently switched to a bee's wax wad under the wonder wad in my other .58" rifles, but have not tried it in this one.

I initially went to the wax-wad under the wonder wad to keep the wonder wad from contaminating the powder, but have found it makes a really good gas seal. Bonus! If you are not worried about powder contamination, (as in target shooting) I also found that two wonder wads work better than one.

Bang is right, the shallow groove rifling on these rifles does shoot round ball well. I have never had any luck with minie's as they require light powder charges.

On both my chopped and normal 1863 Remington contract rifles, I had to put a lower rear sight on them. On my 1861 I only had to file down the front sight, notch the little square block, and then solder in a taller blade. They will all shoot high without some modification to the sights.

My 1861 shoots both PRB and the REAL to the same POA.

Pure lead RCBS Hogdon sized .001 under bore, dip lube only with beewsax/lard, 45g 3f Schutzen, shoots 3moa out of a couple Zouaves I've played with.

Latest posts

Back