• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zoli Zouave nipple thread size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlocke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone know the nipple thread size for the Zoli Zouave? I had looked around online and got the impression that it was 5/16" X 24. Well, guess what? It ain't. It is not 8 X 1mm either.
DJL

I just checked THUNDER RIDGE cross reference tables and they list the two sizes that you say wont fit.
is your zoo stanped DIXIE GUNWORKS on the bottom of the trigger guard?

I don't know any thing about the Zoli Zouave, but you can get a metric screw pitch gauge to check the threads on the old nipple. If you have a gun with metric threads it would a nice thing to have. Standard threads are measured by threads per inch. Metric threads are measured by the pitch. Example: 1 mm threads are 1 mm or .03937 apart. you should be able to find a metric screw pitch gauge any where machinest tools are sold.

Interesting! My Euroarms (Zoli) Zouave does have 5/16x24 threads. Did you buy it new? If not could it have been modified by the previous owner?

Dixie lists a 5/16-24, a 5/16-20, a 5/16-18 and a 8mm-1 as musket sized nipples.
The 8mm-1 would be .315 dia and the threads would be spaced at .039 apart which is almost the same as the 24 pitch thread (.042).

zonie :)

I bought it used and I think it is an old one. I have the nipple that it came with (although it is getting a bit worn out) so I guess I'll take it to my friendly local hardware store and try some different sized nuts on it, as I don;t have any pitch gages. I wonder if Dixie accidentally sent the wrong sized nipple, though?
DJL

Yes, I'm pretty sure the 5/16x18tpi is for the Parker Hale Enfields, etc, whilst the 5/16x20tpi fits some of the Italian-made Enfield repros. My Euroarms Enfield Musketoon takes the 5/16x20. Never used the 8x1mm, but have a feeling Miroku, in Japan, used that on some of their Muskets. I've had a couple of Zouaves & shoot around quite a few others & they've all used the 5/16x24tpi nipples, even the originals....pretty sure it was the standard U.S. musket nipple thread.

Back