• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Youth and Muzzle Loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m in Grand Island NE for the 4-H National Shooting Sports tournament this week. We have about 600 youth from 32 states competing in 9 different disciplines, including 46 in muzzle loading. ML shoots 50 yd bullseye, 25 yd bottles and critters novelty targets and silhouettes. My NC team placed 2nd in bullseye and 3rd in novelty on Tues & Wed, silhouettes on Thurs, always interesting in the NE heat and wind. Proud to be working with 4-H and being able to coach a great group of kids. Takes a lot of weekends, time, resources, but it is great watching the youth mature, and knowing that maybe, just maybe they will remember the smell of smoke and the satisfaction of the work it takes to succeed

I took my 8 year grandson shooting for the first time this week. He loved shooting my TC Hawken off sand bags. I'm looking to get him into a 4H program.

Check with your local Cooperative Extension office. 4-H is part of that system through the land grant university system. Every county and state is a little different, some have the shooting sports program and some don't. If they don't, think about becoming a leader/instructor and get the program going in your area.

Just a word of clarification here between different youth orgs. When we were getting started into working with youth orgs in instructing, every one required each instructor to be certified through either the NRA or NMLRA with one exception. The ONE exception I've come across is 4H. They have their own system and certification. IF you get certified with 4H, that's the only group you are cleared to work with. No other youth org recognizes the 4H instructor certification. I'm not saying don't work with 4H, but know if you want to work with them, NRA and NMLRA certs are invalid. Don't know why, but that's the facts.

I’m in Grand Island NE for the 4-H National Shooting Sports tournament this week. We have about 600 youth from 32 states competing in 9 different disciplines, including 46 in muzzle loading. ML shoots 50 yd bullseye, 25 yd bottles and critters novelty targets and silhouettes. My NC team placed 2nd in bullseye and 3rd in novelty on Tues & Wed, silhouettes on Thurs, always interesting in the NE heat and wind. Proud to be working with 4-H and being able to coach a great group of kids. Takes a lot of weekends, time, resources, but it is great watching the youth mature, and knowing that maybe, just maybe they will remember the smell of smoke and the satisfaction of the work it takes to succeed

Outstanding.

Just a word of clarification here between different youth orgs. When we were getting started into working with youth orgs in instructing, every one required each instructor to be certified through either the NRA or NMLRA with one exception. The ONE exception I've come across is 4H. They have their own system and certification. IF you get certified with 4H, that's the only group you are cleared to work with. No other youth org recognizes the 4H instructor certification. I'm not saying don't work with 4H, but know if you want to work with them, NRA and NMLRA certs are invalid. Don't know why, but that's the facts.
You are correct, 4-H has its own training system. The reason is we are training leaders/instructors in youth development as well as a shooting sports discipline. TO be honest, much of the material for the shooting part is very similar to the NRA, which is what BSA uses, but we spend a lot of time on teaching youth development. Agree or disagree, the 4-H system reaches more than 500,000 youth with 20,000 instructors every year. I am also an NRA, Hunter Ed, CCW instructor, and get the chance to teach others that are also instructors for other organizations. Without fail, even from military and LEO people, they all say that they learn something and understand why we do what we do.The big thing is, all of these groups are trying to involve youth in outdoor activities, including shooting sports, which is what we all want to make happen. I would encourage anyone to try to work with any group teaching youth any kind of lifelong outdoor activity

Nice job! My only female ML shooter was out there for the Missouri team!! Her best day was the first, on bullseyes. She was 15th that day!!!

edit to add, Mo. finished 3rd overall in Muzzleloading!

Last edited:
iu

Latest posts

Back