• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your first muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was, and still is a 1861 Remington rifle. *retired* still shootable. I've a replica to do it's job now. There is a definite difference between the craftsmanship of an original and a very fine replica.

What was your first muzzleloader? Your first baptism into the world that we love so much? “ Precious Memories “

My first was a CVA Mountain Rifle Kit. I was 13 or 14 years old at the time. Put it together and did a horrible job at that! Looked like manure but I loved that rifle!!

Actually took some rabbit with it. After school I’d get home with only a few hours of day light left. Wade through the sage brush and snow that blanketed the Wyoming landscape. Right at dusk I’d be trampling back home with a couple of rabbits for the freezer. Between my brother and I, that freezer was always stocked up!

Some of the fondest memories growing up in the mountains around Cody Wyoming.

Anyway, what was your first muzzleloader and some of your fondest memories with it?

Please do share.

Respectfully, Cowboy

My first black powder firearm was a nasty Italian .44 cal. brass framed 1851 Colt replica, purchased in 1970, followed shortly by a .45 TC Hawken that shot pretty well once it got peep sights, glass bedding, and Ron Griffie re-rifled the barrel converting it to round bottom grooved.
My first flintlock was some horrible kit with a big strange brass patch box known as "the blob".
My first real muzzleloader was built from parts purchased from an older guy named Bob Wheeler living in Dundalk Maryland in 1973 or 4. Starting with a .32 cal. Numrich arms barrel, a small Kentland style lock mounted in brass on a piece of bird's eye maple. Ronnie Griffie helped me remove enough wood for it to actually look like a rifle, and my brother still has it. Around 2000 Bobby Hoyt rebored the barrel to .40 with a 1:48 twist, which works really well.

What was your first muzzleloader? Your first baptism into the world that we love so much? “ Precious Memories “

My first muzzle loader was purchased in the early 80's from a friend that needed to scrape up some money to fund his divorce. It was a generic .45cal KY kit pistol. Of course, I had learned all that was needed by watching Daniel Boone reruns. How hard can it be? Powder, patch, ball...push. 30gr of Pyrodex pistol wasn't very exciting so the powder charge went up, up, UP! When we got to 90gr, we were finally pleased with the resulting fire and smoke but we couldn't hit anything smaller than a 5gallon bucket. (Don't try this at home. It's a wonder we didn't lose a hand.)
That first muzzle loader is currently living with my uncle. He still uses it as a coup de grace during black powder season.

Miroku "Zouave" .58 caliber rifle. In my youth and dumbness I made it into a half-stock carbine. Still have it. Picked up another one recently which has a serial number only ten digits away from my first one. Both shoot great, but have "lumpy" bores. (seems the reamer was stopped and started numerous times. Both had half-cock notches that didn't work to well. (fixed them) Otherwise fairly serviceable rifles....but of course I moved on long ago to Jeagers and Besses.

My first experience in muzzle loading was in the mid 70's.
I was a regular on most afternoons watching Fess Parker make the world safe for Liberty and strangers.
Was a Euroarms Kentucky. 45 caliber percussion. I wanted a flintlock so much more than a caplock. Dad would tell me, You don't want a flintlock. You can't hit.nothing with one of those." Since.he was.paying. a.caplock it was.
Still have that gun. It is pretty used.up. not safe to.shoot anymore. It has earned its place.on the wall.
BTW Dad. Cemeteries and battlefields are full of.people who got killed by Flintlocks. Looking skyward grinning.

Ruger Old Army, Purchased at a Rod & Gun Club in Germany.
First fired at Camp Perri pistol Range.
All shots landed n the black (Beginner's luck).
Been hooked ever since.
rayb

54 caliber Lyman Trade rifle; the first of three of the same model and caliber. The third one I had restocked in cherry to fit me better, breech plug changed to left hand along with a LH lock. Still have her and call her Big Red.

Back