• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You coon hunters out there

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxahatchee

36 Cal.
Reaction score
For all you coon-getters out there (whether you're following a pack of trusty coon hounds, runnin a trap line, or just happen to be roaming the woods) dont turn your nose at a coon :wink:

A truly wild coon wont be contaminated by any human garbage, and since coons have been consumed for just about forever, I decided to give one a try that showed up while I was hog hunting.

After getting him skinned and quartered, and trimming off the majority of the insane amount of fat, I let the meat sit on ice in a cooler for a few days, then took it out to finish removing membrane and more fat (removing membrane and icing down meat improves the flavor of all game) I soaked the meat in a brine for a few hours. After boiling it a little to remove more fat and grease, BBQ sauce was brushed on the meat and then thrown on the grill for a few minutes per side.

And it actually turned out good :grin: It tasted almost like pork ribs, but was slightly tough and chewy (most likely because it was a grown male :idunno: )But for all I care, it was worth it. Given the chance, Id cook another one.

So, if you happen to find yourself in possession of a coon carcass, cook that sucker. You'll be surprised :thumbsup:

when I was a kid we subsisted mostly on wild meat. Coon was often on the table. YUM

I had a friend who was a trapper. He'd take the skins for the fur and then dress out the carcasses and freeze them. When he had a bunch, he would drive them to Detroit and sell them for a good buck. Can't do that anymore. Probably was illegal then also. I have a number of recipes for coon. They're good.

hanshi said:
I've taken a few coons in my time but never ate one. Have eaten possum and no complaints.
I had a coon as a pet when I was a kid, and to this day I could never kill one.
I have seen a possum crawl out of the insides of a long dead cow, and to this day I could never eat one. :grin:

I have wondered about eating coon. I figured it has been, but can't say I've heard much about it. My father's side were some country folk, but my mother's side, which I spent most of my time around, were not, which was a shame as I'm more of the country type.

As to possum, well, I hate 'em! I'm not sure I'd want to eat 'em, though I suppose I'd give it a go. I'll try most anything, though snails and bugs don't seem appealing the least...

And now it comes around to what one wouldn't want to eat? Possums are kinda nasty, and armadillos can carry leprosy, but what of things such as bobcat, fox, coyote, weasel, and other uncommon critters?

rodwha said:
I have wondered about eating coon. I figured it has been, but can't say I've heard much about it. My father's side were some country folk, but my mother's side, which I spent most of my time around, were not, which was a shame as I'm more of the country type.

As to possum, well, I hate 'em! I'm not sure I'd want to eat 'em, though I suppose I'd give it a go. I'll try most anything, though snails and bugs don't seem appealing the least...

And now it comes around to what one wouldn't want to eat? Possums are kinda nasty, and armadillos can carry leprosy, but what of things such as bobcat, fox, coyote, weasel, and other uncommon critters?
Can't see a weasel being worth the trouble.
As was mentioned on a thread a few weeks ago,with the ingestion of enough alcohol beforehand, any meat tastes good.

hanshi said:
Have eaten possum and no complaints.

I find possum to taste remarkably like porcupine. But a porcupine has to be the hardest animal to skin in North America. Most animals you can grab the skin and pull it off. Porcupine skins kinda grab back at you!

As a youngster I shot my share of possums but would not think about doing that now. A friend had a possum that lost it's leg from the fan on their chest freezer. This was a long time ago. anyway they just started feeding the possum as it made itself cozy with the cats. That little possum was clean, soft and fuzzy and liked nothing better than to get picked up and cuddled. The little guy touched my flint-hard heart.

I have only eaten raccoon once but I plan on cooking a lot of it this fall. My Dad is training some Mtn curs and he has been treeing a lot this summer. I broke down and bought some store bought meat for some of my wifes family on the fourth. I cant believe how much ground beef costs. Who can afford it? I will have wild hog on the grill this fourth for myself.

I'm sure I posted it before, but I once left BBQ coon meat (chopped) on the share shelf in the brakeroom refrigerator at my work, whole lot ah city folk tried coon that day! :grin:

Back