• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yet another ram rod demon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mediclimber

36 Cal.
Reaction score
So, I broke the original ram rod for my CVA Mountain Rife, (4 screw patch box, marked 308 in the nose cap, supposed to have a Douglass barrel and shoots realy fine), and I went and bought four 3/8 ram rods. Demon 1- the Rotweillers found the ram rods and made toothpicks, back to Dixons for more. Also stop at Detrich's for smoked pig ears to keep Rotweillers away from rods. Haven't seen or heard of them since, but there is some nasty noises comming from behind the sofa. Demon2- I put the brass ends on the properly cut to length rod and run it down the tubes, it fits snug, goes into the stock and stops at the first wedge. If I take the wedge pins,out, the rod slides in and out perfectly. Now what? do I sand the rod or file the nub the wedge goes through or both? Geez, this may get to be a major project for a rainy day.

What is the difference between your original rod and the replacement rod?? Did the original rod fit in ok?

B

It was tight, but not too tight. I miced it and sanded the new one down to the same size. Talk about fun for the feeble minded. It seems to be okay now. I didn't want to have to file down the lugs on the barrel for fear of reducing the strength too much. I did notice that the lugs had not been cleaned up after they were made so I too the burrs and rough edges off and re-browned them. Everything seems to be okay now.

Glad to hear you got the ramrod working. :)
Now, just keep an eye on the Rotweillers. When the Pigs ears are gone, your ankle might look like a good moresel. :rotf:

I figure I can make a trip to Dixons every two weeks and blame the dogs cause they need pig ears from Deitrichs.

I have the same problem with an older CVA Mtn rifle too, only it's a triggerguard screw that stops the rod and not a tennon. Just haven't gotten around to working this kink out yet.
Hey, why not treat yourself too? After visiting Dietrich's for the dog treats, why not hit the Krumsville Inn for a cold one. I always do after a Saturday visit to Dixon's and it sure makes for a delightful trip.

I'll have to do that. I normaly hit Snuzzles down outside Kutztown and get a sandwich and a Killians Red.

Back