• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE WTB Lyman 452389

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
452490_255g.gif
452490 A gas-check bullet designed for the .45 Auto Rim by Ray Thompson. (GC, 255 - TP is 424)

Thank you for checking deerstalkert. Maybe you can help me with these abbreviations. I don't know what tc in tcswc means - total copper? I get that swc = semi wad cutter.

And in the listing for the 452490 I know the GC stands for Gas Check. Just guessing, but the 255 is the weight? And then TP? I haven't a clue what that refers to. Truncated Tip? but then 424?

I'm finding the gun guys have dozens of abbreviations with no key anywhere, or when I do find a key, the one I need isn't there. It's like it's a secret code and unless you've been given the secret handshake you're never going to get anywhere. Frustrating

Guess you've now realized I'm new to all this?

back in the days of us dinosaurs we called the semi wad cutter a truncated cone . hence the TC in my reference. my mold is not a gas check mold . it pre dates the Ray Thompson .
you are correct in the translation of the GC and 255 being weight and gas check. the tp 424 stands for takes place of. i think. :dunno:
Lyman quit consulting me about their marking soon after they bought Ideal .:)
I for one have always hated the abbreviations that have crept into our speech. to me it is a form of laziness and an attempt to be cool!
acronym's leave me bordering on angry.
there is no better way to learn than to ask questions. those that ridicule any honest question are just full of themselves and half the time don't know the answer. best of luck with your search, Tom

Thanks, Tom. Appreciate the help!

I worked with a guy who played those irritating games. He'd have to use acronyms, abbreviations and even brand names rather than the accepted name for things. For example, a Dynabrade (brand name) is an air orbital sander. I'd never heard of a Dynabrade till working with him. He'd throw these things out, and if you had to ask what he was talking about, it would prove his superiority, and he had no problem displaying a subtle arrogance. He was smart and clever and did good work - the only reason I put up with him.

I worked at a place (a large computer chip manufacturer) where it was the norm to speak in abbreviations and acronyms. If you wanted to be really cool, you made up your own. Ugh

That's not communication, and like you, it angers me. But that's how it is, and I'm inching my way up the learning curve.

If you talk to an oriental wise person, he'll tell you learning is a circle. You'll come back to where you started. But I believe it's more like a spiral and even though it looks like the same place all over again, it's at a new level. It can be confusing if you don't understand the phenomena.

What I'm saying is this - don't put yourself down as going down hill when you feel simple. You've come full cycle.

Back