• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED WTB 40 caliber conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rice 44 inch barrel, 6 lands and grooves, 1:48 twist. I know there are some solid lead conicals out there people have used in the .40 caliber to take deer. Solid lead is what I am thinking

Deer hunting. So you need accuracy, weight and velocity.
44 inches... wow! At 44 inches you're can get a lot of velocity which translates into lots of spin.
That means you might be able to up the weight of lead (the length of the bullet) which is good for penetration.
And, no lubed lead bullet is going to stand up to that kind bore to bullet friction.
That leaves paper patched.

So what I'd do is use paper patched bullets.
I'd use hollow based paper patched bullets because the hollow bases can quickly seal off the rifling and prevent gas cutting and that loss of accuracy. With a 44" barrel the pressure will drop by the time the bullet gets to the muzzle and there wouldn't necessarily be a problem with blown skirts on the hollow bases.
All that means you'd be shooting with a cleaned barrel just like stepping out on a deery morning.
micro minies.jpg

I used to shoot Lyman Great Plains lubed bullets in a .50 caliber with 1: 48 twist 39 inch barrel accurate out to 100 yards. I just needs something like that in .40 caliber.

Back